hvacexpertjoe, HVAC Technician
Experience:  I have owned and operated 2 HVAC companies in KY an WV. My background is electrical engineering.

My Armstong Air Ultra 80 model luf80c84/95d16-1a furnance is

My Armstong Air Ultra 80 model luf80c84/95d16-1a furnance is burning very rich so as to produce heavy soot at the exhaust pipe seams and rumble like a train.

hvacexpertjoe :

This ounds like inefficient combustion. It can be caused by: Clogged orifice(dissassemble the oil orifice and clean ) 2. Bad or weak ignition spark( replace transformer) 3. Clogged oil filter(replace filter).

hvacexpertjoe :

I would clean the orifice first, then try the oil filter. The weak spark can cause the unit to not fire up right away causing the unit to misfire and rumble.

hvacexpertjoe :

If the first two do not fix the issue I would then replace the ignition tranformer.