Kenton Guidry
Kenton Guidry, HVAC Technician
Experience:  12 years install/service experience.

we are trying to decide on the right furnace-and company to

Customer Question

we are trying to decide on the right furnace-and company to install it. We have narrowed down from 4, to 2 companies. One is a national franchise-airserv, the other is a local, well known company, now being run by the founders son. We're not sure whom to hire...I'm worried that the son may decide not to continue in the business. He has given us a good price because we are returning customers. One factor that worries me-the local company does not belong to the BBB, but the other does, with a rating of A-(because of length of time in area franchise)
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Kenton Guidry replied 2 years ago.

Kenton Guidry :

Please tell me more about your situation.

Kenton Guidry :

Would you like help deciding on what company to use?

Customer:

yes

Kenton Guidry :

I would like to know the final price each have provided.

Kenton Guidry :

Also what brand the equipment they are offering.

Customer:

pay a little more money for 14 S-8490 from Airserv-a trane, or about the same for a 15.5,Rheem-this is the local company who originally installed the furnace in 1986, and has done plumbing work for us-the son who runs the company is a high school and college friend of my daughter's the airserv owner is a business associate of my son in laws-with recommendations

Customer:

Airserv belongs to BBB, Philbricks-the local doesn't belong-don't know why

Kenton Guidry :

Were the model numbers provided?

Kenton Guidry :

Or just the models. The Trane model would be something like an XB14.

Kenton Guidry :

I can look into both bids to see if there is a big difference in equipment.

Customer:

yes-Trane XB14(single stage motor), or Rheem15.5 classic

Kenton Guidry :

What about the furnace? Which did they put for that?

Customer:

my main problem is who should install-the local guy or the big franchise guy\

Kenton Guidry :

Okay

Kenton Guidry :

This is going to be a matter of opinion. You may find that the local company will have more vested in the company.

Kenton Guidry :

He will be invested financially and emotionally.

Kenton Guidry :

If the owner is on site for the install then even better.

Kenton Guidry :

The issue of them being or not being a BBB member is really not a deciding factor for me.

Kenton Guidry :

Being a member of the BBB is a paid membership.

Customer:

ok....you have helped..they haven't had any complaints against them.....and I may go with the local guy thanks!

Kenton Guidry :

You are most welcome. With a franchise, if you had an issue you'll have to go by the book and get something resolved. If you go local you can know that you have access to the owner.

Customer:

can I talk again another time....??

Kenton Guidry :

You certainly may.

Customer:

thanks....

Kenton Guidry :

You are most welcome.

Customer:

thanks-

Kenton Guidry, HVAC Technician
Experience: 12 years install/service experience.
You are most welcome.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
we have decide to go with the local business, as we do have direct access to the owner, and he is very willing to work with us, plus his family has been in business since the 50s...thank you again
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
we had the system installed-Rheem prestige 15.5 -and we are nice and toasty! Thanks for helping me make a final decision.
I am very happy to hear that. Thank you as well.