jason3kgt, HVAC Technician
Experience:  I am a residential HVAC technician with 7 years experience in troubleshooting/installation/repair/maintenance/sales.

My Burnham Alpine boiler is giving me an error code of E 04

My Burnham Alpine boiler is giving me an error code of E 04 and we have no heat or hot water. What does E 04 mean and how do i fix it?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  jason3kgt replied 4 years ago.

jason3kgt :

hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you out today.

jason3kgt :

did you turn the boiler off before getting the e04 error code? for example, did the heat or hot water stop and you flipped the power without reading an error code, and afterwards e04 popped up?

jason3kgt :

feel free to answer any time, as soon as i am notified i will be back. thanks.

Yes. There was no hot water and I went down and checked the breaker. It was off, so I turned it back on. I then checked the boiler and there was an error message, E 04. Later, I figured out where the reset button was and pressed it. Everything came back on and there has been no problem since.

jason3kgt :

alright, great! unfortunately The “04″ code is the result of turning the power off to the unit while it was locked out on another code (your breaker tripping being the cause).
You need to press the reset button on the control panel which will clear the “04″ code then you can get back to the original code that caused the lockout when it reappears. The original code is the one you need to deal with when and if it comes back.