Billy
Billy, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

I have a York Diamond 80 unit. Control board failed and

I have a York Diamond 80 unit.

Control board failed and was replaced two days ago. Heating worked great for 36 hours and quit again.

Symptoms are:
1. Plug unit in.
2. Exhaust fan starts
3. Igniter lights
4. 1st time I checked it, flame did light for about 45 sec.
5. Now flame does not light. I think I hear the gas valve click.
6. Fan continues to run and unit tries to light, but no flame.
7. Error codes are: Green when unit is plugged in - 1 Red flash as unit tries to light - 7 red flashes when I push the error retrieve button.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.

Can you verify if 24 v ac is present at gas valve when ignition should occur?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hmmmm

1st - 24VAC was present at the gas valve during ignition

1. Heater lit and has been heating for about 10 minutes. Temp at thermostat has come up 3 degrees.
2. Conditions: Fan and control panel panel cover was in place. Burner panel cover was off (NOTE: during earlier tries with no ignition, I held the fan/control panel access cover switch "Down"). Unit had been unplugged for 30-45 minutes.
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.

was burner cover on when it faaulted?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Burner cover was on when it first faulted.

Let me put the answers in time order.

1. When I first decided that the heater was no heating, I went to it, pulled the burner cover off, unplugged, replugged and watched the burner with the cover off.
2. During troubleshooting, I repeated the above several times and had the burner cover on and off.
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.

With cover off....has burner failed?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.

Thank you,

and when failed...we mean ignitor glows but flame doesnt light at all?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Correct
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.

And out of 10 cycles done, how many times would estimate fault to be?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
9

PS - Room temp at thermostat is at setpoint. We'll see if it lights again before long.
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.

and after each fault it codes 7?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.

Do you have a long light or small propane torch?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes - Propane torch
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.

This is just process of elimination.

Sometimes a glow ignitor doesnt reach 1800 f in order to light gas. It glows but not hot eneough...to eliminate this option we point torch beside the ignitor during start up and see if it lights reliably with torch...understand the point?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes

The unit just shut off at temp setpoint. I'll unplug it so it can come on till I get there, plug it back in and help the igniter with a torch if it doesn't light.

Is this correct?
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.
correct...we just want to eliminate whether gas is there but ignitor weak....or if gas isnt there...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Darned, contrary thing lit off like a champ. It did not need any help.
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.

Ha...figures....

Have you:

removed tube from pressure switch and cleared barbed fitting on furnace where tube attaches

check tube for cracks

no vent blockages

sensor clean with steel wool

None of these are suspect but good things to do as preemptive...

Your issue is either no gas

Poor ignitor

Or the 2 dont get together.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've not done the preemptive stuff yet, but will.

Thanks for your help.

Do you have igniter part number and installation instructions by any chance?
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.

The part number is(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

example - http://www.theignitorstore.com/catalog/york_igniters

Any local heating contractor should have one also.

Billy, HVAC Technician
Experience: Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks much for your help
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.

I wish you luck...and I am available for follow up.

Billy

Merry Christmas!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Some follow-up.

Ultimate cause of my problem turned out to be a loose connection internal to the gas valve. I noticed that when I measured voltage across the valve, everything worked. When I took the voltmeter probe off, the heater stopped.

I replaced the gas valve and everything is nice and toasty warm.

Thanks much for your help. It is really nice being able to troubleshoot with you.