A-1 Tech
A-1 Tech, Service Manager
Experience:  I have been in the HVAC business for over 39 years.

I am wiring a HE220 Humidifier w\plugin transformer. the video

I am wiring a HE220 Humidifier w\plugin transformer. the video wires it different than the instruction manual and I can find other manuals online that wire it different again. I have the trans former w\red and white wires connected to it, then the transformer red wire to one humidifier wire and the transformer white wire to the other humidifier wire. Hum wire + red trans wire connected to one humidistat wire, Press sw red wire to humidistat black wire and the press sw white wire and humidistat white wire marretted together. Other end of humidistat white wire marretted with the transformer white and humidifier wire. The humidifier seems to work (water flows) but the transformer is smoking and getting hot. This is the second transformer. Hope you can help. Cheers, Mike
Category: HVAC
Expert:  A-1 Tech replied 2 years ago.

A-1 Tech :

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will assist you today

A-1 Tech :

did you unplug the transformer?

Customer:

yes...

A-1 Tech :

great

A-1 Tech :

let me pull that up, give me a few minutes please.

Customer:

sure...

A-1 Tech :

ok

A-1 Tech :

do you have 2 lead thermostat wire?

Customer:

yes red and white

A-1 Tech :

in one jacket?

Customer:

yes

A-1 Tech :

ok

A-1 Tech :

from the transformer, connect the red to transformer and connect to humidistat with red in the 2 lead cable

A-1 Tech :

attach the white wire to the other connection at humidistat.

A-1 Tech :

are there only 2 humidistat terminals?

Customer:

yes both black and all instructions say to connect a red to each one?

A-1 Tech :

no

A-1 Tech :

think of the red being the hot wire. we feed it with red (hot) and leave the humidistat with white coming back to the humidifier.

A-1 Tech :

the white is now hot wire back to humidifier.

A-1 Tech :

you have 2 terminals on humidifier?

Customer:

yes 2 wires only

A-1 Tech :

great

A-1 Tech :

hum 1 and hum 2 ?

Customer:

ok...they are both blue and coming from the humidifier solenoid

A-1 Tech :

ok

A-1 Tech :

that white wire from humidity control will connect to one of the blue wires.

A-1 Tech :

are we doing as we go, or do you just want me to finish?

Customer:

just finish i am writing it down cuz i am not at the house

A-1 Tech :

oh, ok

A-1 Tech :

connect a dirrerent white wire to the common of the transformer and attach the other end to the other blue wire. (the red in this 2 wire cable will not be used)

A-1 Tech :

that was different

A-1 Tech :

this will give you 24 volts when the humidistat calls

A-1 Tech :

do you have any kind of pressure switch that came with system?

Customer:

yes...it is wired to the humidistat right now

A-1 Tech :

ok, it was pre wired?

Customer:

no, i wired it as per the instructions. Red to the C and white to the NO then connect red to the black humidistat and connect 2 whites togethter at humidistat

A-1 Tech :

I would do it this way

A-1 Tech :

the red wire from the transformer, connect it through the humidistat

A-1 Tech :

thats all you need

A-1 Tech :

then humidistat will not have power unless the fan is running.

A-1 Tech :

that red to fan switch is the hot, then come out of fan switch to the humidistat.

A-1 Tech :

that may be where the trouble was

Customer:

what do i do about the press sw?

A-1 Tech :

open that in new browser window please.

A-1 Tech :

see if that makes sense

Customer:

i did, it is the same diagram i have in the instructions

A-1 Tech :

come out of transformer with hot, run to pressure switch, come out of pressure switch and to humidistat. come out of humidistat and back to the blue wire.

A-1 Tech :

that puts pressure switch in series with humidistat.

A-1 Tech :

if eithr switch is open, humidifier will not come on.

A-1 Tech :

think of these controls as simple light switch, on or off.

A-1 Tech :

dealing with cables may be confusing, as red is hot then it changes to a white wire.

A-1 Tech :

am I making sense?

Customer:

yes...I am confused what to do with the second wire from the transformer?

A-1 Tech :

white from transformer goes straight to other blue wire.

A-1 Tech :

it is our common (neutral)

Customer:

ok....but when i use the voltage tester on the transformer both terminals are live

A-1 Tech :

are you reading to ground?

Customer:

no...it is just a pen type tester and lights up when voltage is present

A-1 Tech :

Oh, ok

A-1 Tech :

don't pay attn to that,

Customer:

oki

A-1 Tech :

So , use the white from transformer to blue at humidifier.

Customer:

yup got it...

A-1 Tech :

tape off the spare red wire in this cable as it is not used.

Customer:

ok

A-1 Tech :

think of all other wiring white or red as being of the hot (other side of transformer)

Customer:

ok

A-1 Tech :

it will be your hot wire, even if color changes.

A-1 Tech :

this is just to save you some wire

A-1 Tech :

you could actually use 1 red wire from device to device

A-1 Tech :

If you need further assistance, just let me know., I will be here for follow up even after accept.

A-1 Tech :

let me know how this works out please,

A-1 Tech :

Thank you,

A-1 Tech :

Customer:

ok Ron thanks for the help

A-1 Tech :

CUSTOMER NOTE: Expert is not compensated unless the "ACCEPT" button has been clicked.

A-1 Tech :

Good luck, I think you have it.

A-1 Tech, Service Manager
Experience: I have been in the HVAC business for over 39 years.
Expert:  A-1 Tech replied 2 years ago.

did you get it?