hvacexpertjoe
hvacexpertjoe, HVAC Technician
Experience:  I have owned and operated 2 HVAC companies in KY an WV. My background is electrical engineering.

Why does the furnace consistently emit cool air.? Yet sometimes

Why does the furnace consistently emit cool air.? Yet sometimes it does warm up.Right now the target temp is on 90/ current room temp 75/ and the heat on is blinking. I have tried having the heat not flash and it still is cool. I have a ritetemp 8035.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  hvacexpertjoe replied 2 years ago.

hvacexpertjoe :

Is the furnace running? How long does it run? Is this a gas furnace?

Customer:

Yes the furnace is running. I can hear it turn off and after a few minutes ( maybe 10) it will cut on. Ita a gas furnace

Customer:

I have gone in the basement and saw it fire up. So it appears to be turning on.

hvacexpertjoe :

the furnace may have problems seeing the flame. I would sand the flame sensing rod to remove any oxidation.

Customer:

That sounds like somethng a furnace technician can only do

hvacexpertjoe :

Its not extremely difficult to do but you would have to remove some screws.

hvacexpertjoe :

does the furnace ever stop working completely and lock itself off?

Customer:

well it does stop running on its own. In fact since I started talking with you it turned on and off / back and forth about 3 times.

hvacexpertjoe :

do you ever have to turn the power off to get it to run again?

Customer:

I haven't tried that. I have tried to get it to turn on by increasing the heat emperature. Sometimes it works andcomes on and other times it doesn't.

hvacexpertjoe :

ok this may be a thermostat issue then. Can you make a jumper wire and connect the "r" and the "w" terminals at the thermostat?

Customer:

Oh no!!! I will call a company tomorrow. I appreciate your assistance

hvacexpertjoe :

no problem. can you check "swing" on the thermostat?

hvacexpertjoe :

swing should be at least 3

hvacexpertjoe :

that is the only other thing i can think of that would make your furnace turn off and on quickly

Customer:

whats swing? where is that on the themastat

hvacexpertjoe :

it should be written in tiny letters on the screen. let me check to be sure though

Customer:

i don't see it. I'm looking at hepamphelet too.

Customer:

correction-- i'm looking at the "pamphet"

hvacexpertjoe :

b

Swing

ï Swing setting determines the temperature difference

from ON to OFF that the thermostat will command the HVAC system to run.

ï With the MODE switch in HEAT or COOL, press the

MENU

button.

ï Touch the

SWING

icon and the current setting of temp

swing is shown on the display (default at 3 ).

ï To change the swing, touch the left or right arrows.

The furnace will cycle more at the lower numbers as it

tries to keep your set point constant.

hvacexpertjoe :

so press menu and then a little "swing" icon appears in the upper left. touch it and it will open up the values. make sure this value is at least 3

Customer:

Well... I'm going to have to figure out how to print this and try it

Customer:

what does the swing icon look like?

hvacexpertjoe :

words written. "swing"

hvacexpertjoe :

swing

hvacexpertjoe :

you might need a pencil to tap it

Customer:

ok the swing opens up what on the thermastat lets you know that its value is 3

hvacexpertjoe :

does it say default value?

hvacexpertjoe :

it should show you a number between 0 and 10

hvacexpertjoe :

what number is XXXXX showing?

Customer:

oh I haven't tried it yet. Because I will have to take this info off the computer and go try it

hvacexpertjoe :

oh ok.

Customer:

At least you have given me something to try.

hvacexpertjoe :

exactly.

Customer:

Thanks a lot and happy holidays

hvacexpertjoe :

same to you. hopefully it works!

Customer:

Do I press accept now?

hvacexpertjoe :

sure

hvacexpertjoe, HVAC Technician
Experience: I have owned and operated 2 HVAC companies in KY an WV. My background is electrical engineering.