Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.
27228809

I have a carrier airhandler mod 40RM-012--B611GC (R22)matched

I have a carrier airhandler mod 40RM-012--B611GC (R22)matched with 2 carrier condensers mod 24ABB360A520 (R410a)
Do I need to change the entire txv or just the power element?
If I need to change the entire txv can you tell me which one to get?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for giving me the opportunity to help! It is never a good idea to try and mix and match two different types of units with different refrigerants. The R410A condensers should be installed with a matching R410A coil. I have seen it done using an R22 coil and installing a new TXV designed for R410A, but this is not by any means the ideal way to do it and if this is the route you want to try, have a competent HVAC technician do it. The R22 coil has to be completely evacuated and all old oil blown out of it so that none of it cause an issue with the R410A equipment and oil (different type of oil). It may be possible to switch out just the coil in the air handler; this would be the only really good way to do this. Otherwise the best method is to install a matching air handler (R410A) with the R410A condensers.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The systems are new. so there is no oil issue. I need to know what to do with regards XXXXX XXXXX txv
Expert:  Tim H. replied 3 years ago.
As I said, if you have the proper tonnage coil matched with a condenser, the TXV will have to be changed out with an R410A TXV ( proper tonnage rating for system--the air handler is a 10 ton) and superheat adjusted once system is operational. Is there a reason why if you have new coils, you went with R22 coils? Or was this just something you had available and didn't want to purchase anything further?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This is the only air handler they had available. Can you tell me which txv to get?
Expert:  Tim H. replied 3 years ago.
Does the R22 coil currently have a TXV? If so, this will need to be removed and replaced. What size is the liquid line on the air handler coil? I'm showing this unit has 2 5 ton coils, correct?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Liquid line is 5/8" And yes it has 2 5 ton coils. Installation manual says part# XXXXX current txv is TDEX6 (carrier)
Expert:  Tim H. replied 3 years ago.
Here is Parker information on selection of TXV valves. I would go with an external equalizer on the valve you buy. I'm assuming you are going to purchase this from a local HVAC wholesaler and they can help you with valve selection.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience: Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.