A-1 Tech
A-1 Tech, Service Manager
Experience:  I have been in the HVAC business for over 40 years.
8655086

What does "Recovery" mean on my thermostat?

Good morning! What does "Recovery" mean on my thermostat - we're renting, and have a programmable Chronotherm IV Plus thermostat. I have it programmed at 58 degrees for sleep mode, not to kick up to 68 until 6:30a. But the last week or so, I've been awoken at 5a with the heat on.  This morning, I checked the room temp (thinking maybe the house heat had fallen below 58), and the room temp was 64.  Using the down arrow, I set the temporary heat to 58 - and the thermostat indicated that the current set temp was 68.  If I click "Run Program" from "Temporary" the word "Recovery" displays, and the heat kicks back on.  Thank you for your help!
Category: HVAC
Expert:  A-1 Tech replied 2 years ago.

A-1 Tech :

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today

A-1 Tech :

This thermostat has what is called "Intelegent Recovery"

A-1 Tech :

The thermostat remembers how long it takes to recover from your low setting to the wake up setting and tells the heat to come on. The time it takes to recover will vary depending on temperatures.

A-1 Tech :

Some other thermostats work by time only and it could come on too early or too late to reach desired wake up temperature.

A-1 Tech :

You normally would not notice this as you are still in bed.

A-1 Tech :

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

A-1 Tech :

Thank you,

A-1 Tech :

A-1 Tech :

CUSTOMER NOTE: Expert is not compensated unless the "ACCEPT" button has been clicked. If you wish for the expert to receive their portion of deposit, you must click the "ACCEPT" button. Positive feedback is greatly appreciated. Bonus is appreciated also. You can now contact expert even after clicking ACCEPT for follow up later. This is a great new feature.

Customer:

Interesting. So it is taking 1-1/2 hours to heat up 10 degrees? (From 58-68 degrees) That seems excessive. Can this 'intelligent recovery' feature be adjusted?

A-1 Tech :

No, it is not adjustible

A-1 Tech :

However, 10 degrees is a lot to make up.

A-1 Tech :

How long it takes is dependant on the type and size heat you have.

A-1 Tech :

Units are sized not to pull down or heat up fast, they are sized to maintain the room temp selected.

A-1 Tech :

Sometimes if your temperature offset (58 deg.) can be so much, you eat up your energy savings during recovery.

A-1 Tech :

5 deg. offset is typical.

Customer:

thanks for the info, we'll make the adjustments in temperature, and also set the wake time a little later in the a.m. Merry Christmas!

A-1 Tech, Service Manager
Experience: I have been in the HVAC business for over 40 years.