A-1 Tech
A-1 Tech, Service Manager
Experience:  I have been in the HVAC business for over 40 years.
8655086

What does recovery mean on a thermostat?

This thermostat has what is called "Intelligent Recovery"

The thermostat remembers how long it takes to recover from your low setting to the wake up setting and tells the heat to come on. The time it takes to recover will vary depending on temperatures.

Some other thermostats work by time only and it could come on too early or too late to reach desired wake up temperature.

You normally would not notice this as you are still in bed.

Read full interaction below »

What does "Recovery" mean on my thermostat? We are renting, and have a programmable Chronotherm IV Plus thermostat. I have it programmed at 58 degrees for sleep mode, not to kick up to 68 until 6:30a. However, the last week or so, I've been awoken at 5a with the heat on.  This morning, I checked the room temperature (thinking maybe the house heat had fallen below 58), and the room temperature was 64.  Using the down arrow, I set the temporary heat to 58 - and the thermostat indicated that the current set temperature was 68.  If I click "Run Program" from "Temporary" the word "Recovery" displays, and the heat kicks back on.

Category: HVAC

A-1 Tech:

Customer:

Interesting. Therefore, it is taking 1-1/2 hours to heat up 10 degrees. (From 58-68 degrees) That seems excessive. Can this 'intelligent recovery' feature be adjusted?

A-1 Tech :

No, it is not adjustable.

However, 10 degrees is a lot to make up.

How long it takes is dependent on the type and size heat you have.

Units are sized not to pull down or heat up fast, they are sized to maintain the room temperature selected.

Sometimes if your temperature offset (58 deg.) can be so much, you eat up your energy savings during recovery.

Five deg. offset is typical.

Customer:

Thanks for the info, we'll make the adjustments in temperature, and also set the wake time a little later in the a.m.