Airheatman
Airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

My comfortmaker furnace wont ignite. goes into soft lockout.

My comfortmaker furnace won't ignite. goes into soft lockout. i can see the igniter glow and the pilot lights but won't go into full ignition. i reset it last night and worked during the night, but failed again this morning.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Airheatman replied 3 years ago.

airheatman :

Are you able to get a model on the furnace?There should be a label inside the furnace near the burners,usually on one side.If so equipped, your problem might be a dirty flames sensor.If so it can be cleaned with sandpaper or steel wool.

airheatman :

Full Size Image
Label should look similar to this

Customer:

Let me go look again

Customer:

MODEL N9MP1100F14B1

airheatman :

Ok Got a manual

airheatman :

Tell me the fault code

Customer:

6+1

airheatman :

Ok that means it has already tried as many times as it can

airheatman :

Lets turn poer off

airheatman :

Thermostat off

Customer:

gas off too?

airheatman :

Power on and thermostat call for heat to get fault code. Gas not nexcessary

Customer:

ok, be right bacvk

airheatman :

ok

Customer:

thermostat and power off

airheatman :

ok

airheatman :

poer on first

airheatman :

then call for heat

Customer:

ok, one sec

Customer:

ok, it's trying now...

airheatman :

see if we get a code after first try

Customer:

6+1 again

airheatman :

OK look in front of the last burner to ignite and see if you have a flame sensor like this.If so lets try to clean it with sandpaper or emeory cloth

airheatman :

Full Size Image

Customer:

let me see what i can find

airheatman :

ok

Customer:

ok, do found what i believe to be it, located between the igntier and the pilot gas supply, attempted to clean with a piece of sandpaper and it disintegrated, so guessing that was the problem (or it is now). tag on it says replace with Q3400A 1024

airheatman :

The part you were supposed to clean should not disuntegrate.It is a metela rod

airheatman :

Did you put very much pressure on the part you cleaned?

Customer:

can you confirm with that part number that i was on the right sensor - there are two on this piece, i was assuming the other rod was the ignitor and may have got it wrong. very little pressure with a small piece of sandpaper and it broke

Customer:

this is it

Customer:

the smaller piece is the one that broke

airheatman :

That looks like the glow part

airheatman :

The actual sensimg rod should be the steel rod part

airheatman :

If it broke easily, it probably had a crack and was not reaching hot enough temp to light

Customer:

ah, well, guess a new one will fix the issue either way, hopefully that's all it is. guess i need to call around and see if i can find one.

Customer:

are you able to recommend anyplace that can overnight one?

airheatman :

Do you have a Heil dealer in your town?

airheatman :

Comfortmaker is a heol product

airheatman :

HEIL

airheatman :

If you have a Johnstone Supply or Grainger, they will have it

Customer:

ok, i'll look and see who i can find here

airheatman :

Look close at this picture

Customer:

yep, igniter piece is what broke

airheatman :

If in future you need to clean, clean the part that shows flame rod

Customer:

gotcha

Customer:

won't be forgetting that

airheatman :

If it is any consolation, the ignitor part may have been brittle or alraedy had a hairline crack , preventing it from reachong the required 360 degrees

Customer:

it was pretty brittle, i was easy with it.

airheatman :

When you install the new one, make sure to handle with care.Do not let your fingers touch yhe ignitor part as body oils will cause it to burn into prematurely

Customer:

will do, thanks for the assistance. off to see if i can find a replacement.

airheatman :

Good luck with the furnace.I think this will fix you up. Feel free to follow up

Airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience: Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.