Rick Mather
Rick Mather, HVAC Technician
Experience:  35 years experience, HVAC
12095340

what is Cycle rate per hour in the Honeywell t-stats? All

Customer Question

what is Cycle rate per hour in the Honeywell t-stats? All others seem to allow you to set the swing temp-but Honeywell uses this CPH factor. Which is better adjustable swing or this Cycle Rate per Hour? For at times it seems that my Honeywell runs more often than others that I have used even though they both had a swing of +-1 degree.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick Mather replied 3 years ago.

Rick Mather :

Cycle rate lets you decide how often the furnace is to come on in an hour's time, this feature lets the thermostat adapt to what equipment it is connected too by user input

Rick Mather :

Every heating system type will deliver heat to the house at a slightly different rate.

Rick Mather :

The cycling rate provides you with the flexibility to set the cycle rate adjustment to match your specific heating system, whether it is gas or oil forced air, high efficiency forced air, electric forced air, or baseboard hot water.

Customer:

but what does that matter-I thought that the system will run until it reaches the set point provided by the t-stat-whether it be a 1/2 degree swing or 1 degree swing or more. Wouldn't this determine how ofter the system will come on & off in a hour?

Rick Mather :

Well it does matter with steam systems verses hot air and hot water

Customer:

And what is better to have-a t-stat that allows this CPH or adjustable swing?

Rick Mather :

Really when set correctly you don't even notice any difference

Rick Mather :

I like the CPH

Rick Mather :

Honeywell started using this on there early setback thermostats

Customer:

So I take it you personally use Honeywell & would recommend this brand over WR or Robertshaw or Lux?

Rick Mather :

Where older ones were control with small heater called heat anticipation which turned off heating before it got to setpoint so it did not swing over

Customer:

And what model of Honeywell do you recommend?

Rick Mather :

honeywell

Rick Mather :

I have the pro vision

Customer:

In your opinion are all the Honeywell t-stats the same or are some better than others?

Rick Mather :

White rodgers makes nice unit also

Customer:

What about Robertshaw?

Rick Mather :

Good brand also

Rick Mather :

have not used one in a while though

Rick Mather :

I stick to what I know works and easy to program

Customer:

thank you

Rick Mather, HVAC Technician
Experience: 35 years experience, HVAC