airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

I have a Chronotherm III and the Energ Sav and System lights

I have a Chronotherm III and the Energ Sav and System lights keep flashing, -AC and the current temperature setting alternately appear and disappear in the display while the lights flash, and it sounds like the thermostat is trying to kicking on and off. I just replaced the batteries last week. Could the thermostat be failing? Not sure how old it is, but at least 13 years.

airheatman :

It is possible it had a power spike

airheatman :

If batteries are new, and you are getting this erratic flashing, it has probably sorted inside

Customer:

Absolutely. We had a power spike just this AM.

airheatman :

Hey it has well earned its keep

airheatman :

These things were popular in the 80s

Customer:

Is it going to be a pain to replace? I assume it's not just plug 'n play.

airheatman :

I am pulling a manual just for fun to look at troubleshooting to see if there is any mention of your problem

airheatman :

Actually if you are mechanically inclined, it is relatively simple replaciment

Customer:

I'm rather mechanically inclined, but try to stay away from major electrical work. I can rewire fixtures, but that's about it.

airheatman :

Are you controlling an electric heat pump or gas furnace and ac?

Customer:

Gas furnace and AC

airheatman :

Then you can purchase a nice digital thermostat to replace it with for around 40 bucks.

airheatman :

Usually wires are pretty much color coded, but I recommend putting a little piece of tape on each wire as you take them off, so you can match back up.Biggest problem is people don't always use w for white, red for r and son on

airheatman :

I do not see anything in the manual other than blank screen

airheatman :

Partial display in this manual says "inopertaive thermostat" replace thermostat.

Customer:

Thanks so much for all your help. One last thing before I accept and sign off, do you have a specific recommendation for a replacement thermostat. I assume all thermostats are not created equal. Have a good night, and again, thanks!!

airheatman :

I wouild recommend something by Honeywell.. There thermostats are the most accurate and dependable,Stay away from LUX and Nunter unless you want to replace them every two years.Honeywell offers good thermostats from about 30 bucks up, depending on the features you want

airheatman :

Hunter, not Numter (typo)

airheatman :

Let me slow down and type one more time.Stay away from LUX and Hunter

Customer:

No problem. Thanks again.