mranswer
mranswer, HVAC Mechanic
Experience:  20 years experience running my own business
13971964

My goodman furnace of just three years old has stopped working.

Customer Question

My goodman furnace of just three years old has stopped working. Its a hybrid system that uses a goodman heat pump as the primary heating source, then the furnace kicks in when temperatures drop down low. Thermostat is Honeywell 8000 and it is showing that the system is calling for auxiliary heat (furnace) however the furnace isn't kicking in. NO codes are flashing. The gas was turned off last week for service for another appliance and wonder if the furnace needs to be reset or is it just coincidence that the furnace has had a failure. Could someone walked me through some checks just in case its something simple.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  mranswer replied 2 years ago.

How limited are you in what you can do here? I obviously am here for an accept, so I want to be sure that what I can offer you leads to that. I cannot fix anything for you as you know, but I can tell you what to do to find out what is wrong here as long as you are so capable. I can make no promise whether this is easy and quick or not.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Good aptitudes. Two of us here. basic fundamental knowledge, but no expert. Capable of removing and replacing most parts, gas ticketed, 20 years construction, have an ohmeter but need a little guidence on usage.
Expert:  mranswer replied 2 years ago.
Very good. What is the model# XXXXX the furnace so I can see exactly what you have here? I will start with you doing some checks after I get that.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
GMV950905DXBB
Expert:  mranswer replied 2 years ago.
I will look this up. In the meantime turn furnace off and on to reset it. Then jump together the red and white wires which have come from your thermostat (do this at the unit or t/stat- your choice) and see if the unit starts up. Let me know what, if anything, happens.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Removed thermastat and connected red and white wire together...tiny spark. Did nothing.
Notice now that the two wires don't spark. Also there are two white wires going to the thermastat.....turns out we blew the small 4 amp fuse and am replacing it right now and will try the other white wire to the red.
Expert:  mranswer replied 2 years ago.
Ok. Replace the fuse. One of the white wires must have been used as a power supply to the thermostat- a different color is usually used for that. I am not there, so if anything is not as I described then let me know. The furnace should have terminals where the thermostat wires connect to that are marked R and W. Jumping these out makes the call for heat. These furnaces used different controls and the error codes that the board would show should be explained on a legend on the unit. Let me know if that is available and what is the board doing before the call for heat and after. Always reset the furnace before trying again.
Expert:  mranswer replied 2 years ago.
I need to run out for about an hour or so for some errands- I did not know this was going to go so slow, so I will reply when I return if that is ok.
Expert:  mranswer replied 2 years ago.
I am back-I see no reply as to what you found out.