Jerry, Service Technician
Experience:  HVAC Technician. Hearth Products Specialty
34748161

My Heatilator gas fireplace shuts off after a while. Why?

Customer Question

I have a Heatilator gas fireplace with electronic ignition installed in 1996. The fireplace lights for a moment and then shuts off. There is no blockage in the venting system. The ignitor was replaced a few years ago. Can you help me ?

Category: HVAC
Expert:  Jerry replied 5 years ago.

Jerry :

Did the fireplace work well for a while? After the ignitor was replaced?

Is this a spark ignition system?

Also could you check the model number? I'm not finding that one.

JACUSTOMER-i2ewn55c- :

The fireplace worked well after replacing the ignitor. I believe this is a spark ignition system. Last year I had a contractor service the unit for the same problem

Jerry :

The ignitor doubles as a flame sensor. So if there isn't good pilot flame there or if the ignitor has corrosion on it, it will turn the gas on for a bit then when the ignitor/sensor doesn't detect flame it turns right back off.

You can try cleaning the probes on the spark ignitor or making sure there isn't ember material nearby the pilot flame.

JACUSTOMER-i2ewn55c- :

Problem. He said I had a carbon problem and he cleaned the solid wires of the ignitor. He told me I had a leakage problem and replaced the glass door gasket. I don't believe I got a good job from him.

Jerry :

Is this propane or Natural gas?

JACUSTOMER-i2ewn55c- :

I can see arcing between the ignitor probes when the switch is turned on. Does that tell me that the probes are clean and it may be a sensor.

Jerry :

Yes, I still haven't found your exact model but looking at the 340le it looks like there very well could be a separate flame sensor, that is not part of the ignitor. Try cleaning with light sandpaper and making sure there is nothing around the sensor and flame. You may need to replace the flame sensor.

JACUSTOMER-i2ewn55c- :

I have a parts listing from a book from the original installation. It's under GC 300/ GC400 direct vent gas appliance. It does not list any sensors but part # 15695 is an ignition control.

Jerry :

I have looked through heatilators archived manuals and am not finding your model! Do you find a part for a pilot assembly kit?

JACUSTOMER-i2ewn55c- :

No pilot assembly kit. The ignition control is connected to the ignitor on one end and the other end to a transformer. The transformer is then connected to a high limit switch. The ignition control is also connected to an on/off (rocker) switch.

This is a natural gas system

Jerry :

There are also connections that go to the gas valve. But I believe you are going to have to replace the flame sensor.

I found a web page that lists your info with part numbers etc. Hopefully this helps.

http://www.heatilator.com/~/media/Files/Heatilator/Service%20Parts%20Lists/GC300E.ashx

I thought of something else. I'd this the first time using the fireplace this year. You could have some weak gas in the pipe and when the pilot lights then sputters, it will cause the valve to shut down. Try relighting the fireplace numerous times and watch the pilot flame closely for fluttering. You may just need to bleed the gas line.