gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician
Experience:  51 years of experience install design and repair of all makes and models of AC

I have a Bryant plus 80 High Efficiency Furnace. It does not

Customer Question

I have a Bryant plus 80 High Efficiency Furnace. It does not kick in. It has flickering red light
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Airheatman replied 2 years ago.

airheatman :

I will try to assist you

airheatman :

Can you please give me the complete model number on the furnace

Customer :

It says BRYANT PLUS 80. It also has High Efficiency written on it

airheatman :

The model should be on a label inside furnace simial to this picture.It will be in the burner compartment

Full Size Image

airheatman :

The 80 plus is a series.I am looking for a model, so I can try to locate a troubleshooting manual.Many fifferent furnaces and code means different problem

Customer :

395cav036111. Does this sound right?

airheatman :

Yes, let me see if I can get manual. be right back

airheatman :

Not seeing the 395 i have the 355, let me look somewhere else

Customer :

I will also double check

airheatman :

The number is XXXXXXX,X have some info on the 395 .I just havent found the troubleshooting guide.It is an 80% furnace came into production in 2000

airheatman :

While I am looking lets check a few things.

Customer :

395CAV036111 is correct. Yes I built my house in 1999 so this sounds correct.

airheatman :

Look where vent leaves furnace and see if there is a small inducer motor like this?Turn power off to furnace.Then back on ,Then turn thermostat to call for heat and tell me if the little vent motor comes on

airheatman :

Full Size Image

Customer :

Is this the motor that has a rubber tube going into it? I turned off/on the power, and set my thermostat to come on but nothing is kicking in

airheatman :

Yes that little motor with the hose has to start before anything else will hapen.Do you have a volt meter to check voltage?

Customer :

No I don't

airheatman :

Do this. Remove the R and W wire from thermostat and connect them together and see if furnace will come on.That will eliinate the thermost from being a problem if it still doesnt come on with those wires connected

Customer :

My thermostat is a programable thermostat. It would take me a while to disesemble it and get to the wires.

Customer :

What is this motor with the rubber tubing called?

airheatman :

That is an induced draft motor(vent assist basically)

airheatman :

Can you get to the furnace easily?

Customer :

Is there any way else to confirm this is the problem? Shall I take a picture and send it to you so we know we are looking at the same thing?

Customer :

yes I can get to the furnace pretty easily

Customer :

My friend thought it was called the air supply switch

airheatman :

Ok remove the bottom panel.Remove the thermostat wires R and W where they connect to the control board,Then with a pair of needle nose pliers, or something, jump the R and W terminal on the board to see if heat will come on.There is a door switch though,you will have to hold or tape it for unit to come on

airheatman :

The little motor is and induced draft motor,When it runs, it pulls a vacuum (through the rubber hose)on the small canister looking device to close the circuit iin it.That canister is called a pressure switch

Customer :

I'm sorry but I don't know what jumping the R and W wires really means. I'm not sure I have a needle nose plier but I will go and check

airheatman :

On the control board there will be screws(terminals) labelled R,W,G,Y,W. Loosen the screws and remove wires form R and W. Then in some way Needlenose pliers.short piece of wire, jumper leads) WE want to connect the two terminals R and W

airheatman :

Only one W sorry typo

Customer :

Mine only has 3 wires and there is no white wire. I'm not comfortable to remove the wires.

Customer :

Im trying to attach a picture but it is not allowing me to insert it. Is there a way to tell from the flashing lights I was getting to confirm if this is the piece that needs to be replaced?

airheatman :

Are ther e any pattern to the flash such as two short, one long or just a flickering

Customer :

There were 4 light flickers in total. One short and three longs.

airheatman :

One short and three longs indicates limit circuit lockout

Customer :

What does that mean? Funny thing is yesterday the sequence looked a bit different.

airheatman :

This occurs if the limit ,draft safegaurd,no inducer or blocked vent,or flame rollut switch is open

airheatman :

Look near the vent draft hood and also just above and on each side of burners and see if there is a limit smilar to this .If so, press red button in center of each one to see if they click and reset

airheatman :

Full Size Image

Customer :

I dont see anything like this. Is there a way to attach a picture and send to you? Also I looked at the flashing light and it is 1 short and 2 longs now.

airheatman :

I have people send me pics regularly, but I am not sure on your end how.I have to upload to my computer and then attach file

airheatman :

the 1 short two longs is normal.The blower motor(main circulating blower) runs 90 seconds if unit it powered up during call for heat

Customer :

Hmm, so what do you suggest? Do I need to replace the induced draft motor and the pressure switch

airheatman :

Does your thermostat have a fan ON switch? If so, when you turn to FAN ON, does blower run

Customer :

I can try that. Hold on.

airheatman :

OK

airheatman :

Make sure bottom panel is on furnace or door switch is hedl in

Customer :

Nothing is coming on even on cool fan on mode. I put back the furnace cover and I can see red light inside the glass and currently it is solid but it might start to flicker after a while

airheatman :

I recommend without a voltmeter, you call in a tech as you can spend sveral hundred bucks just changing parts,You need a meter to troubleshoot really

airheatman :

It sounds to me like you have a faulty control board since you are getting varying codes

airheatman :

But to verify we need to know if we have voltage into and out of the board

Customer :

so perhaps I should get a meter before we continue?

airheatman :

That will be great

Customer :

so what do we do with this session?

Customer :

If it is the induced draft motor and the pressure switch is it hard to replace

airheatman :

If you aremechanically inclined , no. I am however leaning to suspect the control board since fan won't come on either

airheatman :

Problem could be as simple as a bad thermostat or as bad as a bad control board.We can verify the thermost being an issue if you want to take the time to remove the thermostat wires, It should not be hard if you remove front cover nad you can turn power off to furnace while messing with the wires

Customer :

My thermostat does not have the white wire. There are three wires. Red, orange and green

airheatman :

What terminals do they go to? Do you have central a/c?

Customer :

no central ac

airheatman :

Can you tell which terminal each is connected to?

Customer :

Red show to R, G shows to G and oranges shows to W

Customer :

I mean to say Green shows to G

airheatman :

Ok great, Leave power off to furnce, Take the Red wire and the Orange wires and connect them together,You can place them both in same slot and tighten down or twist the wirs together .The make sure bottom panel is in furnace and turn power on,See if inducer motor will start and if heat comes on

Customer :

okay let me try this.

airheatman :

OK

Customer :

So this is what I did. I twisted orange and red together while keeping the main power to furnace off but thermostat on heat and on. Then i went to the furnace and turned on the power. After a minute or so the furnace kicked in.

airheatman :

Does furnace stay running as long as the wires are twisted together?

Customer :

the wires are still twisted and it was on for a few minutes but then it went off. Also I noticed that while the burners where on their was no heat being pushed out from the air vents.

airheatman :

Ok, your blower is not coming on then.If burners came on and stayed on without the blower, the frunace shut itself down on high temp.Remove thoe red and orange and connect red and green to see if blower comes on

Customer :

Shall I keep the furnace power on as it is on right now while I do this?

airheatman :

I would turn power off, connect wires and then turn power back on

Customer :

Okay stand by

airheatman :

ok

Customer :

Orange hanging on its own. Red and green connected. powered up furnance, so far nothing is coming on

Customer :

are you there?

airheatman :

Ok. turn power off, reconnect wires like they should be. You are going to need to get a meter.When you jumped the R and W, that completed the heat circuit,Once burners warmed up, signal from control board should have told blower to come on.Next when you jumped R and G control board should have ,again, told blower to come on. Blower did not come on either way. Since heat does not come on by thermostat, but does when bypassing, this sounds like the heat control of thermostat is bad.However when you jumped R and G, you were taking thermostat out of eqation again, yet blower did not come on which sounds like either control board is bad or motor or capcitor is bad, So we seem to have more than one issue here.We will have to see where we are and are not getting voltage to verify problem or problems. However I do want you to do one more thing.Turn power off and remove bottom panel,Reach in blower compartment (with power off) feel of motor and see if it is hot

Customer :

blower is not hot

airheatman :

Ok have you reconnected thermostat wires

Customer :

not yet. I'll do that next

airheatman :

Do that and then just for fun.Turn power on to furnace set thermostat to heat and see if jut inducer motor and burners come back on by thermostat

Customer :

r u there?

airheatman :

Yes

airheatman :

Did you try to see if heat came back on by thermostat?

Customer :

no it has not come back on. Wish it had.

airheatman :

Ok friend. we need a meter

Customer :

my neighbor lent me his meter. however I don't know how to use it. I has a red and black wire that I need to plug into the unit

airheatman :

Great

airheatman :

Set the meter to lowes volt range above 120 volts

airheatman :

Plug the red and black leads into meter

airheatman :

then remove door panel on furnace

airheatman :

Look on the control board for a terminal marked L1 (this is line voltage), also find one of the N terminals(this is neutral.Tape or hold in door switch and take a reading betewwn L1 and N

airheatman :

Let me know what you have

Customer :

what do you mean by lowes volt range

airheatman :

lowest above 120.. probably will be 200

Customer :

okay so there are several 200s showing on this meter. how would I know which one to set it to?

Customer :

There is a section with a symbol v with two lines above it, another section with v with one line above it; seoction a with two lines above it and circle with a broXXX XXne where the two lines meet.

Customer :

I don't see L1 or N. Sorry, Im going to have to call it quits pretty soon. its quite late. I would like to perhaps continue tomorrow night if possible

airheatman :

Dont mean to be rude, but I think it is best to call in a tech from here.If you are not familiar with the meter, you are putting your life in danger and I am not willlling over a few bucks to participate to try to save you a couple hundred dollars. Thanks for letting me help to this point

Customer :

I understand. Is there anyway I can pay for some of the advice or is it all or nothing?

airheatman :

Unfortunately it is all or nothing.I only receive a per centage, but again your safety is more important to me than the little bit of money.I would rather you not accept and you will not be charged than for you to accept and not be happy or worse get injured

Customer :

Okay thanks for your efforts in helping me.

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  gotoman for ac replied 2 years ago.
If you open door to burner assembly there is a manual reset switch just below burner to right. Switch with red button. If this is a down flow the reset will be to left of vent pipe near top. Russ