Airheatman
Airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

I have a Heatilator Model GNDC36. The switch fails to ignite

Customer Question

I have a Heatilator Model GNDC36. The switch fails to ignite the fireplace. It has worked for several years, but no longer. This happened in the past. At that time I disconnected the switch at the wall and reconnected. That seemed to work for a couple of years. Now it won't do anything. The pilot light is kept on year around. I turned the pilot light off and restarted it, as well as, vaccuming all the dust out of there. Any suggestions.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Airheatman replied 2 years ago.

airheatman :

Heatilator says that if after repeated triggering of the ignition button the pilot does not light,Verify your gas is on and the gas pressure is right,check the gap at the electrode and make sure the gap between electrode and pilot is 1/8 inch.If still does not night, you need to replace the ignitor

airheatman :

If you are controlling the unit with a remote thermostat, disconnect the wires at the thermostat and touch them together.If ignitor lights by touching wires together, replace the thermostat

Customer:

how much for the ignitor and where to get it?

Customer:

The unit was installed by the builder. It just turns on by the wall switch. I don't believe there is any thermostat installed.

airheatman :

The ignitor should have a number on it If so, you can Google the part number to find online.Or you can Google Heatilator replacement parts.

airheatman :

Do you hear the ignitor clicking?

Customer:

no sounds what so ever.

Customer:

The builder left no manual for this unit. I believe I should be able to get a manual online, and diagrams?

airheatman :

You do have the gas control turned to ON and not Pilot dont you?

Customer:

yes

airheatman :

Have you tried jumping the switch at wall?

Customer:

jumping? touching the two wires together? no I have not

airheatman :

corret

Customer:

I will try that right quick.

Customer:

nothing. no sound, no ignition.

airheatman :

It sounds like ignitor is bad

airheatman :

Is there a control module in fireplace

Customer:

Control Module? The wires run from the wall and end directly in front of the pilot switch.

airheatman :

Some have a module tah allows remote control of the fireplacee

Customer:

I have only the wall switch to turn the unit on and off.

airheatman :

I was looking for a manual. but havent found one

airheatman :

What series is it and about how old?

airheatman :

I am not finding by model number

Customer:

It is ten years old. I don't know what series it is but here is the info I was able to get Serial # XXXXX model GNDC36

airheatman :

It might be hard finding the manual on one that old

Customer:

Should I just get a new one? There site doesn't even list it anymore. I am under the impression this is the most basic (shitty) model. Love builders

airheatman :

I didnt see it listed either.I am suspecting the ignitor itself, but hate not being able to look at a manual, tom make sure there isnt a fuselink oe internal control that could be bad

Customer:

okay. I am going to search for some diagrams that might help diagnose this. If not I'll just have to get a new one. Thanks for helping. Have a great Thanksgiving.

airheatman :

It is undobtly a dsicontinued model. The only honest answer I could provide, would be have you contact Heatilator or one of theri dealers to see if part is available and if there is a way to get a manual

Airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience: Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.