Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.

How to override a Beckett burner lockout?

You need to hold down the reset button for at least 30 seconds to release it from a hard lockout.

Read full interaction below »

How do I override the lock out function on a Beckett oil burner. I ran out of fuel and have put fuel in the tank and am trying to bleed the system but can't get the burner to fire. Green light keeps flashing.

Optional Information: 
Make: Beckett
Model: NX

Category: HVAC

What is the brand and model number of the ignition (reset) control?

Customer: Burner reset - R7184 on a Beckett NX Burner.

Rickheatdoc: Okay, you need to hold down the reset button for at least 30 seconds and release it from a hard lockout.

Customer: Do I need to have the bleeder valve open or do I wait for the burner to try to fire and then bleed?

Rickheatdoc: It's best to have the bleeder open and a small container positioner in front of the bleeder to catch the oil, then hit the reset. Once you have a steady stream of oil tighten the bleeder back up and the burner should fire up.

Customer: Thanks! The boiler is cooking away and if I can keep it from running out of fuel again there should be no problems. Thank for your expert assistance!