BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

I have a TRANE Furnace model TWE048C140F4 and need to know

I have a TRANE Furnace model TWE048C140F4 and need to know the right wiring because my 4 Ton compressor is on all the time. I looks that the thermostat is not controlling it. and without connecting the thermostat the compressor is on. I believe that I need help in the wiring of the furnace. Please Help, the electrical billing is killing me.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 5 years ago.

If you turn the power off to the furnace, does outdoor unit continue to run?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No. It stop running when I turn off the Furnace Breaker.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 5 years ago.

Has this always been an issue or just after a particular project?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There was a guy that came in to replace the thermostat and installed a Simple Confort Pro 5811 Programable Thermostat. It began since that but I did not pay attention. That was 6 month ago.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 5 years ago.

Thank you,

and is this ac or heat pump?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This is AC and Heat Pump and another detail is that the guy rewired the furnace wiring too. I noticed that if I got disconnected the thermostat completely and it still running the compressor when I turn on the furnace breaker. I believe that the problem is in the furnace wiring.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 5 years ago.

You are correct.

I guess to move forward I would need furnace info and then I can look at proper schematics

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I gave you the info of the furnace already.
TRANE
Model: TWE048C140F4
230VAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 5 years ago.
I apologize..play on words...The TWE is the air handler...I need number of the heating cooling unit outside.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok

Trane XE1000

TRW048C100A3
With Heat Pump
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 5 years ago.

Thank you,

And to verify is the condenser fan AND compressor running non stop?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 5 years ago.

Thank you.

What color wires do you have on what terminals in heat pump? I refer to the thermostat wires on R,Y,O,T.......

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Are you asking in the furnace?
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 5 years ago.
actually I will need connections in heat pump (outdoor unit) and air handler/blower (indoor unit)....
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
In the furnace. Indoor unit, B= Blue wire W1=White G=Green R=White wire that goes to a 3 wires cable and the red wire is connected with a wire connector to the outside unit and thermostat. Outside is dark already and those wires where not changed.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 5 years ago.

The 3 wire cable that is attached to R via the white...we should have only 2 wires hot from R...one to thermostat and one to R in outdoor unit.

Is the 3 wire cable only using 2 of the conductors?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 5 years ago.
2 wires on O and one on Y?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
In the furnace there are no wires on O and wires on Y
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 5 years ago.

If no wires on O then they have not landed them on air handler strip...and must have twisted O from thermostat to O to heat pump. O = reverse valve and is necessary for heat function.

2 wires on Y..one to outdoors and one to thermostat?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the two yellow wires are together in ia wire nut in the furnace indoor unit.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 5 years ago.

The Y wire that goes outside is the only wire that starts the compressor...the R is 24v constant, Y = compressor, O = reverse valve.

Somewhere you have a short of 24v crossing from R to Y. This will take elimination...but the yellow wire coming from outdoor must be traced to see where the 24v is being connected to it.

My bet would normally be thermostat wiring but you said it continues to run with thermostat off the wall.

This means the yellow wire is picking up 24 from the R teminal wires somewhere.

I wish I could help more....but the best I can do is recommend tracing yellow wire and making sure it only goes to Y on thermostat and Y wire direct to Y in heat pump

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I disconnected the yellow wires from the wire nut at the furnace and the compressor is still on
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 5 years ago.

Then your breech is at the r wire going outside and the yellow wire going outside.

But also, you said when thermostat disconnected the compressor didnt run...and the fact you removed Y and it still runs doesnot support the thermostat being off with no opertion.

With Y unhooked and unit still running can only be 1 of 2 things...

Short from r to outdoor unit to Y in outdoor unit...and then a mechanically stuck contactor.

But you said the unit shut off when power turned off to air handler.

With that info and the removing Y...your issue is from the indoor unit to the outdoor unit and involves power getting from the R wire to the Y terminal.