Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

my carrier model 58PAV will not open gas valve to light fi

my carrier model 58PAV will not open gas valve to light fire
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.

what is the diagnostic code saying?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have no knowledge of where you would be able to see a diagonostic code
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.

Bottom door has a quarter sized window in it.

Are you familiar with this round view port?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I cannot find any quarter size window. and no I am not familiar with it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes I have 58P AV mine is figure 3
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.

Figure 3..the bottom door...do you see the round circle in bottom door?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
there is no hole in the bottom door
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.

ok,

So what is sequence?

exhaust fan starts...ignitor glows...but no flame?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes it will go through that sequence a couple of times and then stop
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.

does gas valve click during these cycles?

Do you have a voltmeter to se if valve gets 24v or not?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, when would the voltage go to the valve
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I have waited 23 minutes for his answer
Expert:  Phil replied 2 years ago.
All work to be done by licensed professional. WE KEEP GOING UNTIL YOU ARE HAPPY. . I come and go. Be patient. This is step ONE./

Hello

On this end we are entirely blind. so we have to do trouble shooting and diagnosis by walking through the process

The previous expert runs a large HVAC operation and had not offered an answer yet, so far he was in the trouble shooting process and had posted requests for information;

He had not opted out ... he has a perfect score in almost seven thousand answers

You can continue with him if you wish
***

or you can remove the front panel of the furnace that allows access to the gas valve. it lifts up two inches and out

then find the gas valve.. its big and sort of square with wires attached

and notice the gas pipe comes in one end of it . follow the gas valve out the other end, to where it enters the burner compartment

Look inside there for a thin rod with a wire that comes out the end and goes to the electronics control card in the unit....

Use sand paper to clean that rod off. That is step one of a longer process that will eventually lead to a fix in most cases.

Let me know, we can go from there, we keep going until this resolves. You are asked to accept only at that point,

it might take a while though, the college courses on how to do that kind of service work take four semesters

Most of us here at JA can walk a person through a diagnosis in less than fifteen minutes though

Phil
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Phil

I did what you suggested and I am still not getting any voltage to the gas solinoids.

Expert:  Phil replied 2 years ago.
Hello again, I am sure thats the case... because you have not reported that the burner gas exhaust fan is operating.

if thats not operating the controls will not allow the gas valve to be energized.

Follow the check out sequence Ive detailed earlier...

Check power to the exhaust fan.

we can go from there

Phil
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I ran the self test and all systems went according to the instructions on the panel.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the exhaust fan runs and the igniter glows but the main gas does not click on and I can not detect any voltage going to the main gas valve.
Expert:  Phil replied 2 years ago.
Hello again, in that case it is most likely the control card is bad, or one of the safeties Ive been discussing earlier has tripped. that would be the high temperature limit and the flame roll out sensors. they are called out on the wiring diagram...

we have gone over this a few times and well beyond 'just a simple answer'

if you can click the big green accept button so I get paid, I will have the budget to continue coaching you a bit longer... or I can opt out and we can see if another of our experts wants to get involved. Let me know.

Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry my power went off.

If it is the control board where can I get one and approx cost.

Expert:  Phil replied 2 years ago.
Hello again, go here>>>>>>>
http://www.americanhvacparts.com/?gclid=CO6R5uLMtKwCFQJ8hwodDjMtIg

enter the furnace model number at the top right of the page.

then 'control card'

look at what comes up until you see a match

if you have any problems let me know
cost is in the $200 to $250 range

Phil