Airheatman
Airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

I have a nordyne/intertherm electric furnace in my mobile home.

I have a nordyne/intertherm electric furnace in my mobile home. At about 5 this morning, woke up freezing. The blower is working fine, but the air coming out is not heated. It is not cooled air, but not warm and this heater usually heats the house very rapidly. Is this a home repair, or do I need a Hvac repairman? Thanks very much, "freezing in Alabama" K. Carter
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Airheatman replied 2 years ago.

airheatman :

I will assist you

airheatman :

If you have a volt meter and an amp meter and are able to do some elcetrical trouble shooting ,you could repair, You are ging to have to determine if a sequencer providing voltage to the elements is defective or it the elements are burned or exactly where electrical failure is

airheatman :

If you have meters, I will be glad to lead you through troubleshooting

Customer:

I do not have that sort of help today, so I will call a service person. Any idea what a reasonable repair call might run? What kind of prices am I looking at for element or sequencer replacement? Not holding you to anything, just want a ballpark figure so I can know that the pricing is fair. Thanks

airheatman :

What part of Alabama are you in?

Customer:

Southeast corner, close to Troy

airheatman :

Service call will probably run between 65 and 80 bucks. If it is a sequencer, the sequencer should run beween 30 and 60 bucks. The sequencer is most common failure on these units. They may cahrge a half hour additional labor, So if the problem is a sequencr, look to spend about 100 to 150

airheatman :

I am in Grand Bay. If we were replacing the squencer it would run about 120 to 135 depending on the sequencer.I have a competitor 8 miles away that would get about 350 for same thing.So when you call,tell them you suspect the sequencer and would like a ball park estimate.If they quote you in the price range of 100 to 150,that is fair.If they won't gve you an idea or it is over 200,I would call someone else.Because even if the problem turns out to be an element or something else, you know you are dealing with a fair company.Hope this helps

Customer:

It's a great help!! Do the elements cost alot for these furnaces?

airheatman :

You probably have either 2 or3 FIVE KW elements ( total of 10 to 15 KW). Each 5KW element runs about 40.00

airheatman :

Usually one element at a time will burn out though

Customer:

OK...that's great info to have...I'll get to work on the phone. Thanks so much, great service!

airheatman :

Each element also has a limit control also.So it could be a bad limit.Thats why meter necessary

airheatman :

Thanks for allowing me to assist you

airheatman :

If satisfied, remember to ACCEPT as we are not paid otherwise.

Airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience: Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.