M Oglesby
M Oglesby, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Universally Certified HVACR Technician
27079509

I have a goodman CPKJ24-1a heat pump that is going bad. Is

I have a goodman CPKJ24-1a heat pump that is going bad. Is there a replacement unit that I could get that will not require replacement of the interior furnace, and will be compatable with the existing wiring?

M Oglesby :

hello

Customer:

any good news

M Oglesby :

You will have to replace the interior coil, not the entire furnace or airhandler

M Oglesby :

The old heat pump is a 10 Seer coil, and the new will be at least a 13 Seer coil.

M Oglesby :

A 13 Seer will not work with 10 Seer so therefore the indoor coil will have to be replaced.

Customer:

Are they interchangeable and are we talking about the copper coils in the condenser?

M Oglesby :

You cannot change the coils in the condenser, you will have to replace the entire outdoor unit, but you can replace just the coil on the indoor unit.

Customer:

So I should get the 13 seer (two ton) and just replace the interior coil? My heating guy (my neighbor) was worried about the wiring being different, or the computer chips not reading things from one unit to the other? Should that be a concern?

M Oglesby :

No that is not a concern.

M Oglesby :

If the indoor airhandler is a goodman brand, then you can get a replacement coil for that unit and it will be compatible with the new outdoor unit.

Customer:

You're the man ---I guess that all I need. Thanks

M Oglesby :

Please hit ACCEPT. Thanks! Bonuses are greatly appreciated!