Mark Henley
Mark Henley, Journeyman Technician
Experience:  UA Journeyman Pipefitter , HVAC, Refrigeration, DDC controls. 26 years.Commercial & residential

My A.O. Smith motor, 5HP Frame 56, part number 2-182711-20,SN

Customer Question

My A.O. Smith motor, 5HP Frame 56, part number 2-182711-20,SN(NNN) NNN-NNNN used on a air compressor, will hum and try to turn over. It is a capacitor run /capacitor start. I have replaced the capacitor start but still no results. any suggestions?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Mark Henley replied 4 years ago.

Mark Henley :

Hi, I would try removing the belt and see if it will start. If with a new cap and the belt off it doesn't start then it sounds like a problem with the motor windings, does i turn by hand when not powered ? If so then definitely a winding problem which will mean a motor replacement or rebuild. thanks Mark

I genuinely enjoy helping people. If you feel I have helped you please acknowledge by pressing the accept button so that I may continue to help other people.

Hi, the question wasn't closed. I don't see the reason for the negative feedback. There isn't much more to do with it, if it doesn't start with w new cap the motor is defective. So its either the winding in the motor or the centrifugal switch , either way its a rebuild or a new motor. Sorry, but it sounds like you have already done everything you can do to save it.I just answered the question given to me. thanks Mark