Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

I want to turn on my heater - the White Rodger Thermostat

Customer Question

I want to turn on my heater - the White Rodger Thermostat says Lo Battery -- How do I open a White Rodgers thermostate to replace the battery?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.

Rickheatdoc :

Welcome to Just Answer, I will do my best to help you solve your problem

Rickheatdoc :

you should be able to just pop the cover off. Often squeezing the sides or top and bottom will get it off. If that doesn't work look for a seam on the side of the cover that you can insert a knife blade or thin screwdriver then pry it off

Customer:

ok - that was my next question -- how do I open the box? So it should open at the seams?

Rickheatdoc :

the cover should just pop off if you can wedge a small screwdriver into the seam, often you can just grab the sides and squeeze and it will pop off

Customer:

ok - got the batteries in --- thanks

Customer:

but now it doesnt seem to wan to kick on --- is there some sort of programming that needs to be reset?

Rickheatdoc :

Nothing should need to be reset

Rickheatdoc :

You can bypass the thermostat by connecting the wires on the R(h) & W terminals together (turn the power to the furnace off first)

Rickheatdoc :

if the furnace starts up you may need a new thermostat

Customer:

this one was just replaced last year --- strange - the fan wont even go on in the "on" position ---

Rickheatdoc :

of course you need to turn the power to the furnace back on first

Rickheatdoc :

Do you have a switch shut off? maybe the circuit breaker?

Customer:

power back on to the furnace? not part of the thermostat? ---

Rickheatdoc :

You should turn the power off at the furnace before messing with the wires

Rickheatdoc :

it's not part of the thermostat

Rickheatdoc :

the switch on the side of the furnace

Customer:

OK - not going to try and bypass the thermo - furnace is in the attic - and was never turned off - thermostat was replaced just this time last year ---

Rickheatdoc :

Do you have an emergency switch (red switch plate) in the living space?

Customer:

no - have to crawl into the attack - I think I will check circuit breakers outside the house -- from what I am seeng at thermostat furnace seemd to be off - perhaps the lo batttery did it? doesnt seem right but?

Rickheatdoc :

Dead batteries won't kill a thermostat

Rickheatdoc :

seems like something else is going on

Customer:

or the furnace - I assume -

Rickheatdoc :

Probably

Rickheatdoc :

if the breaker isn't tripped you may need to call in a pro

Customer:

maybe I better find the manual to check the programming - is there one online somewhere so I can quit wasting your time? -- thanks for the help

Rickheatdoc :

I doubt it's the thermostat. You can google White Rodgers but with no model number finding a manual will be tough.

Please hit accept
Thanks for using Just Answer

Customer:

No model number on front of it! -- anywhere to look? thanks

Rickheatdoc :

Look inside under or on the cover

Customer:

ok thanks -

Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience: 40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.