Jerry, Service Technician
Experience:  HVAC Technician. Hearth Products Specialty
34748161

we have a cedar ridge hearth LP gas stove space heater - new.

Customer Question

we have a cedar ridge hearth LP gas stove space heater - new. It does not appear that the gas is reaching into the unit. Dual regulator being used, 3/4" copper tubing also. Manual says stove must be installed by licensd tech - why? This is no different from a grill. Can you help?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Jerry replied 3 years ago.

Jerry :

Thanks for using JA.

Jerry :

The main reason for a certified tech is there are certain things about vent free appliances that are somewhat technical. First it is an appliance that is using gas combustion for a heat source inside the house with no venting requirements.

Jerry :

This concept in itself needs to be examined and controlled by someone who has been trained in combustion air requirements, flame impingement, and other problems that can cause carbon monoxide poising.

Jerry :

A grill generally is outside in the open air, has no controls or pilot systems, and is used momentarly then extinguished. If it is used indoors, generally there is a fan exhaust system directly above the grill.

Jerry :

Now to get to your problem. You should verify the tank is on, the dual regulator is working correctly, and all of the air has been properly bled out of the lines.

Jerry :

Once this is complete let me know and we can go through the lighting procedure to determine if there is a problem.

Customer :

Jerry - thank you for your response. We understand the concern for most folks messing with gas. My husband has furnace tech experience from time in the mobile home industry. The basics remain the same. Correction: 3/8" copper tubing appx. 5' in length. Again, verified pressure at tank, and again from tank thru shut off valve. Does not appear to be entering the stove itself. Held in control knob, to light pilot, in excess of 2 minutes several attempts. Still nothing. This is a 2nd stove as we felt maybe the first was defective. Please advise.

Expert:  Jerry replied 3 years ago.
The gas flex will need removed to verify there is gas at the unit. This is part if the bleeding process
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
There is no gas flex line or pipe in or to this unit.
Expert:  Jerry replied 3 years ago.

So there you have it! the gas piping needs to be connected from the tank to the fireplace in order for it to work. This really should be done by a certified technician.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Jerry, while your time is appreciated, I need to tell you no thank you. My first communcation did set out the exact appliance, problem and if assistance was available. If the tech was not familiar with the stove, I can accept that. It is apparent to me that you are not familiary with this item. A flex line is not going to anything different that the 3/8" copper tubing. I am not providing any feedback nor can I accept your answer. thank you.