gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician
Experience:  51 years of experience install design and repair of all makes and models of AC
19613070

my oil furnace ignights then runs a few seconds then goes out

Customer Question

my oil furnace ignights then runs a few seconds then goes out changed the filters and nozel still no difrent
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.
Is there actually flame for the few seconds or not..?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes there is flame for a few seconds then it goes out. then pops the reset button.
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.

Have you cleaned the cad cell eye?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Replaced it
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.
Have you jumped F and F as soon as the flame lights and see if it burns longer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

dont know what you meaning jumping F and F .

Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.

On the primary control..the cad cell wires mount to F and F. At start up F and F must read open (dark) but to continue once flame lights F is conected to F by the light picked up in cad cell.

Jumping F to F simulates flame and eliminates the cad cell. Then we can tell if it is primary control or cad cell.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can do that but i replaced the Eye and the oil burner control with the button you reset.but still it burns for a few then shuts of again.
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.

There are only 2 things that fault the control.....no flame to see or the parts that see flame dont recognize it. Many mistake the sound of the burner as actual flame...try jumping F to F BUT make sure there is flame present.

Let me know.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
k but i actually saw the flame thru the Eye holes i wil go jump it now. back to you in few.
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.

Standing by

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When i jumped it didnt ignight or run.
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.

You have to jump it AFTER the flame is present..

have jumper ready..

start furnace

verify flame

jump F and F

If F and F is jumped before flame present nothing will turn on.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
k i will go try again.
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.

standing by

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It went out again same as before
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.

Thank you.

This bypassed flame and cad cell.

Either the control is wired wrong or not right part or is defective,

The only parts involved in this process are flame, cad cell, primary control.

We eliminated cad cell and flame. The primary control has a issue.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
this is a new contoler and can understand that it might have fault. but the other one worked fine until i changed the filter and nozzle then it started doing this so i replaced the eye, the new controller thinking it was bad. then to the internet still same thing . not much to these things but thought sombody else might have somthing i missed thanks anyways.
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.

You are right about not much to them so dont overthink the issue.

You can bang your head wondering...but with the bypass we did it has to be contoller or wiring.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Billy are you anywhere close to Slippery Rock PA.Because i have replaced pretty much everything i can rewired it the same as it was with new and it was working fine till i changed the filter and nozzle changed for the heating season. if you are i will give you my address and you can fix it. because it has me at wits end and it was a little chilley this weekend
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.

Unfortunately I am many miles away.. what control did you install?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Honeywell Tradeline R184G 4009

Protectorerelay Oil Burner Control

Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.

is the cad cell a c554a?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the only number on the box is 130367

Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.

Ok,

I just went over everything..the wiring as you saw was pretty simple...and by having flame then jumping the F and F together, if control fails it is bad control.

I apologize I cannot be of more assistance....

Billy

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Anyways
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Billy wanted to let you know what was wrong with my furnace last nite was the oil pump had a guy come in today saw everything that i had replaced put gage on the pump and the pump would take it up to around 125 for a few seconds then drop down to about 75 and that is when the fire would go out. thanks again, Denny Pry