Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.
27228809

I have a Goodman Heating pump and I have installed a Hunter

I have a Goodman Heating pump and I have installed a Hunter brand programmable thermostat. The problem is that the heat won't turn on. I believe this is a Single State Heat Pump w/Aux Heat. The furnace is electric. The problem is that the heat won't turn on. The thermostat is in the heat position and the fan on auto. I wrote down my wires and wire colors: Y = yellow, G = green, R = Red, O = orange, W2 = gray/off white, C = Brown. On my old mechanical thermostat, there was a jumper wire, white colored, than connected W2 to E. But I don't think I need this jumper between those posts W2 and E because they are on the same terminal in the Hunter thermostat. Also, I have a blue colored wire and a black colored wire that were not connected on the old thermostat. The thermostat will power on the fan but it stays on and won't turn off. The thermostat is programmed correctly. Any ideas on why the heat won't turn on?

M Oglesby :

On the new thermostat, is there a W1 terminal?

Customer:

One moment. I will check

Customer:

I think so. It's labeled just W. The only other W is W2

M Oglesby :

Take the wire off of W2 and put it on W

Customer:

okay. one moment

M Oglesby :

k

Customer:

done

M Oglesby :

Now try to see if the heat will work

Customer:

okay. will do. one moment and then i will let you know

M Oglesby :

ok

Customer:

No heat. I plugged in the thermostat front, making sure unit was Off and fan to Auto. As soon as i turned on the circuit breakers the fan came on. I then turned on the thermostat to Heat but it's blowing room temp air, not hot

M Oglesby :

Is the outdoor unit coming on?

Customer:

also set the temperature to 2 degrees above room temp

Customer:

i'll check. one moment

Customer:

Outdoor unit is not coming on

M Oglesby :

Do you have the setting on HE or HG?

Customer:

HE

M Oglesby :

Did the old thermostat have emergency heat on it?

Customer:

yes

M Oglesby :

Do the new thermostat have emergency heat on it?

Customer:

i'm checking the owner's manual. one moment

M Oglesby :

You should be able to look on the front of the thermostat to find that out

Customer:

the new thermostat has no button/indicator for emergency heat. I have Schedule, Save Away, Back, Done/Home, Menu, Next and + and - signs

M Oglesby :

That is the problem!

M Oglesby :

This thermostat is not compatible for this system.

M Oglesby :

You must get a thermostat that is equipped for emergency heat.

M Oglesby :

Please hit ACCEPT if you are satisfied with this service. Thanks! Bonuses are greatly appreciated!

Customer:

Is there any way you can tell by the model#? Here is the link to the product page on Hunter's web site:http://www.hunterfan.com/Products/Thermostats/Universal-Programmable-PLUS-5-1-1---44272/

M Oglesby :

One moment please

Customer:

From the Lowe's web site, I think this model is compatible with Emergency Heat. The spec page says "Compatible with Heat Pump (With Aux./EM) Yes" at http://www.lowes.com/pd_331XXX-XX-XXXX7_4294821951_4294937087_?productId=346678 4&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_Programmable%2BThermostats_4294821951_4294937087_%3FNs%3Dp_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr%7C0%7C%7Cp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=

M Oglesby :

Did you cut the power off before you installed this thermostat?

Customer:

yes

M Oglesby :

You are correct. This thermostat should be compatible with emergency or Aux. Heat.

M Oglesby :

I will opt out so another expert can assist you. It seems as if the thermostat is damaged. You were correct to have the wire in the W2 position.

Customer:

Okay. thanks.

M Oglesby :

You are welcome

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to help! You say the moment you turn on the breaker, the blower comes on, correct? Do you have the make and model number of your furnace or air handler?? You may have an open high limit switch. What is the reason you switched thermostats to begin with?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
You're correct. I'll check the furance make and model. I switched so that I could save money on heating costs with a programmable thermostat
OK, I understand.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The furnace, or blower unit indoors is made by Rheem. Sorry, but there is no model # XXXXX on it that I have access to. It's an old unit from what I can tell. If I am able to reinstall the mechanical thermostat and it works properly, would it be safe to assume that I should try a different brand/model of a programmable thermostat?

Also, in addition to the blower staying on all the time, there's no heat
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
One more thing. The Hunter thermostat guide says there is a jumper between posts Rh and Rc. The R post is the same as Rc. I hooked up the previous R wire to the R post. But there is definitely no jumper between Rh and Rc. I turned it over and looked inside but nothing. Could that be an issue?
You will have to check and make sure you have 24 volts to C-R at the Rheem unit. These terminals will be found inside the Rheem unit where all the thermostat wires attach. Also, it's going to be a little tougher trying to diagnose this without a model number, but the air handler should have a high limit switch in it which may be open. This would cause the blower to stay on, but the heat not to come on.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience: Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.