Will
Will, Specialty Repair Shop Owner
Experience:  30 years, heating, cooling, rotating, electrical, mechanical system and device repair
4456095

Hello, I have a Jotul 3 woodstove which I bought about 20 years

Hello, I have a Jotul 3 woodstove which I bought about 20 years ago. I have it cleaned every year. This morning when I went to light it the damper is stuck. What shall I do?
ThanksXXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Will replied 3 years ago.

Will :

Please allow me a few moments to review your question again.

Will :

http://www.jotul.com/FileArchive/Technical%20Documentation/Wood%20Stoves/J%C3%B8tul%20F%203%20CB/Manual_F_3_USA_P10_110311.pdf

Will :

There is a manual in case you need one, will provide some suggestions shortly

Will :

You may have some stripped threads, or the rod could be broken. This is going to take some effort to repair. Is this something you have the tools to take on? I have provided a link for you to look at for damper control rods and dampers to look over for an idea of what is up there. Get a good powerful light and take a look at it and see if you can see what's not working. Take a look here too...http://www.rumford.com/store/dampers.html

Will :

In the case it is not physically broken, graphite is often used at any accessible moving joint or rod opening, remember graphite is simply very fine metal powder designed to "eat away" at burred metal objects that might be locking up a moving mechanical device so use should be limited,

Will :

the Rumford is for example only for you to do a visual inspection, looking for a crack, broken shaft, etc example only the Jotul manual I sent has the break out sheets for the damper,

Will :

Check the damper hinges. Shine a flashlight up into the chimney so you can clearly see the damper blade. You should see tabs from the damper blade that should fit into holes inside the chimney. These act as hinges for the damper, and sometimes the damper can pop out of the the holes. If this happens, the damper may partially open, or may not open at all. Try to push the edge of the damper back into the hole in the chimney. If you cannot reach the holes, use a broom handle or the handle of a screwdriver to push the damper back into it's slot. If you still cannot push the damper back into place, call a chimney repair specialist.

Will :

You might try just cleaning it more, but a visual needs to be done to make sure no mechanical parts are out as the example above or simply broken but if this is the first fire of the year and you are simply making it ready, my bet is there is still enough build up to hold the damper, as you inspected the top, nothing was blocking so now it comes down to either a natural build up and friction holding the damper, I doubt it "broke" over the summer, but I am not sure what the entire situation is, if it is in prepration for this year and just your normal cleaning in advance, I would clean again, and maybe with a bit of graphite it might loosen the unit enough to free up

Customer:

Hi, I do need a manual....is there one on-line? I looked at the Rumford site The shaft etc look fine.

Customer:

Hi. I do need a manual... can I get one on-line? I looked at Rumford. Nothing looks cracked or broken. I can't shine a light up the chimney as the damper is in the way....almost fully closed. Should I take the chimney off the top of the stove where it comes out? I have a LOT of tools.

Will :

Will :

that is the link to your manual it is in pdf format you can download and print it out for free

Will :

Absolutely, if you are the type with plenty of tools you are probably a good mechanic, if you see nothing by all means if you have the ability to remove the chimney off the top, most people do not have the tools of skills to do so once removed you should be able to see for sure what the problem is,

Customer:

Hi I got the chimney off easily...Have watched the chimney sweep often enough....But I still can't see the hinges for the damper. I haven't looked at the manual yet as I can't read the end of the address afterUSA_

Will :

I will send again

Will :

Will :

USA Underscore P10 Underscore 110311.pdf

Will :

There are three older manuals, they should be live links

Will :

Technical documentation for Jøtul F 3 CB

Will :

http://www.jotul.no/en-US/wwwjotulus/Main-menu/Products/Wood/Wood-stoves/Jotul-F-3-CB/

Will :

You are going to have to do more disassembly, we knew this was going to be a job, once you get the exploded view it will help I have provided the manuals, the technical documents link and the last one is the Jotul Website where you can choose what to download from that site but get a look at the exploded view before any further disassembly

Will :

www.jotul.com

Will :

Will :

copy and paste to your browser

Will :

nO dESCRIPTION, dIM.⁄sPEC.
1 nUT BRASS, m6X20 din 1587
2 HEAT SHIELD ALUZ. F⁄IVORY EN.
2 B HEAT SHIELD
3 sCREW, m6X16 din 965
4 nUT , m6 din 934
5 sCREW COLLAR, m6X16 ST.5.6 UBEH.
6 ¢OVER SMOKE OUTLET REAR
7 tRAVERSE BAR TO COVER SMOKE OUTLET REAR
8 tOP PLATE COMPL. W⁄ COVER SMOKE OUTLET
9 GASKET, ld 375-2 9.5X1800
10 ¢OVER SMOKE OUTLET SIDE
11 bAFFLE PLATE
12 aIR DISTRIBUTOR Usa
13 ¢OVER SMOKE OUTLET TOP
14 tRAVERSE⁄COVER SMOKE OUTLET TOP
15 bACK PLATE
16 sCREW, m6X35 ST.5.6 UBEH
17 GASKET, ld 360 m⁄l Ø8.7X150
18 GASKET, ld 360 m⁄l Ø8.7X560
19 GASKET, ld 250-2 m⁄l Ø6,4X540
20 ¢AST IRON WASHER
21 sCREW, m8X20 ST.8.8
22 sIDE PLATE
23 bURN PLATE, BACK
24 bURN PLATE RIGHT
26 aIR DEFLEKTOR
27 GASKET, ld 187-1 m⁄l 4.8X410
28 sLIDING VENT
29 FRONT PLATE
30 fiASHER, Ø12X6X0.5
31 lOG RETAINER.
32 sCREW, m6X8 POZ
33 GLASS CLIP W\ GASKET
34 GASKET, ld 360 Ø8.7X1480
35 dOOR COMPL. W⁄O GLASS
37 HINGE PIN, Ø0,6X33
38 iGNITION VENT
39 fiASHER, d NR. 531241
40 ¢OVER⁄IGN. VENT
41 sCREW⁄COLLAR, m6X12 ST. 8.8 UBEH.
42 HANDLE COMPL., NICKEL-PLATED
43 lOCKING BAR
44 GASKET, ld 187 M\L Ø4,8X1800
45 GLASS , 358 X 233 MM
46 sPARK SCREEN
48 sPRING
49 KNOB, PLASTIC, 0,30MM m6
50 sCREW COLLAR, m6X16 ST. 5.6
51 aSH LIP
52 lEG
53 sKREW m6X20 st 8,8 UBEH.
54 fiASHER, Ø18X0,6, 4X1
55 bOTTOM PLATE,
57 iNNER BOTTOM PLATE
58 sCREW SINK HEAD, m6X25 SORTKROM.POZ. (BLACK-POZ.)
59 bURN PLATE LEFT
60 iNSULATION, FIREMASTER BLANKET (AFTER fl-607)
61 sCREW , m8X25 ST.8.8
62 ¢OVER⁄SEC. AIR INLET,
63 sCREW SINKHEAD, m6X40 POZ din 965
64 GASKET-FLAT
65 aSH HOUSE W\ HEAT SHIELD AND HINGE (AFTER 1998)
66 HINGE, ASH HOUSE (BEFORE 1998)
69 sCREW SH POZID, m6X10 din 965 (BEFORE 1998)
70 aSH BOX, 1MM STEEL PLATE
71 HINGE PIN, Ø6X100
72 lOCKING SCREW, m6X10 din915
73 HANDLE FOR ASHDOOR
74 HANDLE STUB
75 sPRING
76 dOOR ASHROOM COMPLETE,
77 GASKET, ld 250-2 Ø6.4X730
78 dOOR LATCH
79 GASKET, ld 250 M\L Ø6,4X600
81 HEXAGON NUT, m8 din 934
82 lOCKING PIN, m6X20 din 914
83 FIXING BRACKET
84 aIR BLOCKER (FOR Usa)
85 HEAT SHIELD REAR (FOR GERMANY)
86 HEAT SHIELD UNDER (FOR GERMANY)
87 eXTENTION NUT FOR HEAT SHIELD, REAR (FOR GERMANY)
m6X18MM
88 dISTANCE SLEEVE FOR HEATSHIELD, UNDER (FOR GERMANY)
Ø10XØ6,2X15MM
89 sELF CLOSING MECHANISM (FOR GERMANY)
90 nUT , m10 din 934
91 dOOR LATCH, 3MM STAINLESS STEEL
92 sPRING Ø10 INSIDE, 2MM STAINLESS STEEL
93 LATCH BOLT ASH DOOR, sTEEL
94 fiOODEN KNOB, HARD WOOD
95 sKREW, m6X60 din 84
1-1331-P22
oNLY USE REPLACEMENTS PARTS PROVIDED THROUGH YOUR
AUTHORIZED JøTUL DEALER.
PART LIST FOR JøTUL F 3

Customer:

It's me the pest. My stove is not the Jutul F 3USA. It looks like the stove in the first "old" manual you sent to me...the damper is right inside the unit... Any suggestions?

Customer:

And again....I removed the cotter pin from the damper rod and the damper works...it is the rod thats all gummed up. I"ll try to sand it off....can I just rub a pencil on it for graphite?

Customer:

And again...that rod is cracked...I'll order a new one.

Will :

you are NOT a pest

Will :

IF you are going to use the cracked rod temporarily just use some fine grit sand paper and a little graphite on the "journal" portions for lube then with the new rod you should be fine, I was wondering if you had the older model 3 as they are very confusing about what model is what

Will :

As to the manual you may need to call Jotul and give them your SERIAL number to get the correct manual,

Will :

Because that is every manual available on line

Will :

I went to the OLD manuals as yours is twenty they may or may not even put that old of a manual on their servers, those are the only three OLD Manuals, i WOULD CALL THEM It is probably stored on some old server and I bet they will mail one to you

Will :

glad you found the problem good job

Will, Specialty Repair Shop Owner
Experience: 30 years, heating, cooling, rotating, electrical, mechanical system and device repair
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, just wanted to thank you. I was able to e-mail the old manual you sent to order the part I needed. If you know anybody who needs parts for JUTYL you should recommend Wilkstove in Victoria BC. Their e-mail (the guy who's great) is XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX
thanks again, k
Expert:  Will replied 3 years ago.
Excellent you were fun to work with and glad to hear you have the parts ordered and all will be done and fixed soon,