Richard, Technical Manager
Experience:  27 years of Experience, NATE Certified, professional trainer

Wheres the reset button on my furnace

Where's the reset button on my furnace?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Hello there is typically not a reset button on furnaces. Turning power on and off resets the control. If you have no heat you may have another issue. Withut a modle I am guessing here but if the fan will run we have power. Is the fan running none stop? is there a draft motor running as well?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Model #:M3RL060A BW No, the fan isn't running at all. Only when I flip that switch. I don't know what a draft motor is.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Hello if you take the doors off look for a circuit board that may have flashing lights. The draft motor is connected to the vent system it is the motor that blows the exhaust out
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The door is off. There is a curcuit board. It has a red light that flashes while the blower is on. Right now, nothing is running. Can you find this model on line for trouble shooting?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Hello while i try to locate a spec can you look on te back of the door there should be something that tells you the flash coed. Count the flahes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Undecided Do you meancount the flashes that happen after I flip that light switch and the blower kicks on?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Yes i found the spec we juast need to know how many time the red light flashes then pause and do it all over again
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I turned the switch on, the red light came on for a while, then off, on, off, on, off, on. when I reach a count of 9, I figured the answer you're looking for is ONE. It was flashing only once, as opposed to blink, blink or blink, blink, blink. Is that what you mean?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Hello you either have 1 blink and that means an open limit switch. loofor small switches near the burner area ( it showed 2 in the diagram) they should have a button in the middle push to reset then make sure filters are clean. Or you have a continuing flash this means there is a short on the flame sensor or a shorted gas valve relay ( this is on the board. For the Flame sensor take off the cover hiding the burners there will be a small metal rod with 1 wire going to it. Make sure it is clean ( use a scotch brite pad ) and it is not touching anything. The re apply power and test. Let m eknow how it goes. Richard
Richard, Technical Manager
Experience: 27 years of Experience, NATE Certified, professional trainer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I found a set of small, rectangular plugs with a tiny red and black button-looking thing between them. The first one I tried did nothing, but the other one, closest to what I think is the draft motor, made a clicking sound when I pressed it. Then I flipped the white switch, the blower came on, and the red light stayed on. Should I be able to see a flame in that small, glass window? I don't. Should that white switch always be in the "on" position?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Hello it loos like a limit tripped so now we need to find out why. If it was near the draft motor check the outside vent for an obstruction ( someone may have shoved something down it. Next you may have to take the draft motor off to see if a mouse or bird go tin there. After that it may get ricky the heat echanger may be craked but lets not condem it yet. Richard
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do I find the outside vent? Take the draft motor off??? Surprised It's time for bed. I'll turn our oven off now and put another blanket on my bed. Will I still be able to review your answers once I've clicked ACCEPT ANSWER ??? Thanks for your help. Pretty sure there's a visit from a face to face technitian in our near future.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.

Hello the vent is the exhaust pipe comming off the furnace to the outside you want to make sure this is clear. The draft motor is small motor the vent is connected to in the furnace. Also, yes even after you accept you can come back to this question

Tank you Richard

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I already see that $39.00 charge from my bank account. I won't get charged again if I click "accept my answer"?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Hello No you don't and even after you lclick accept you can always copme back to this question for further help. The site charges your card but I don't get paid until you click accept. Let me know if you need more help Richard