Richard, Technical Manager
Experience:  27 years of Experience, NATE Certified, professional trainer
29828770

Where’s my furnace reset button? Furnace fan not working.

Where's the reset button on my furnace?

Category: HVAC
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Hello, there is typically not a reset button on furnaces. Turning the power on and off, resets the control. If you have no heat, you may have another issue. Without a model number, I am only guessing here; but if the fan will run, we have power. Is the fan running non stop? Is there a draft motor running as well?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Model #:M3RL060A BW!

No, the fan isn't running at all; only when I flip that switch. I don't know what a draft motor is.

Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Hello!

If you take the doors off, look for a circuit board that may have flashing lights. The draft motor is connected to the vent system. It is the motor that blows the exhaust out.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The door is off. There is a circuit board. It has a red light that flashes while the blower is on. Right now, nothing is running. Can you find this model on line for troubleshooting?

Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Hello!

While I try to locate a spec, can you look on the back of the door? There should be something that tells you the flash code. Count the flashes.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Undecided Do you mean count the flashes that happen after I flip that light switch and the blower kicks on?

Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Yes! I found the spec. We just need to know how many times the red light flashes, then pause and do it all over again.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I turned the switch on, the red light came on for a while, then off, on, off, on, off, on. When I reached a count of 9, I figured the answer you're looking for is ONE. It was flashing only once, as opposed to blink, blink or blink, blink, blink. Is that what you mean?

Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Hello!

If you have 1 blink, it means there is an open limit switch. Look for small switches near the burner area ( it showed 2 in the diagram). They should have a button in the middle. Push to reset, then make sure the filters are clean. However, if you have a continuing flash, this means there is a short on the flame sensor or a shorted gas valve relay (this is on the board). For the Flame sensor, take off the cover hiding the burners. There will be a small metal rod with 1 wire going to it. Make sure it is clean (use a scotch brite pad ) and it is not touching anything. Then, re-apply power and test. Let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I found a set of small, rectangular plugs with a tiny red and black button-looking thing between them. The first one I tried, did nothing, but the other one, closest to what I think is the draft motor, made a clicking sound when I pressed it. Then I flipped the white switch, the blower came on, and the red light stayed on. Should I be able to see a flame in that small, glass window? I don't. Should that white switch always be in the "On" position?

Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Hello!

It looks like a limit tripped; so now we need to find out why. If it was near the draft motor, check the outside vent for an obstruction (someone may have shoved something down it). Next, you may have to take the draft motor off to see if a mouse or bird went in there. After that, it may get tricky, the heat exchanger may be cracked but let's not condemn it yet.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

How do I find the outside vent? Take the draft motor off??? Surprised It's time for bed. I'll turn our oven off now and put another blanket on my bed. Will I still be able to review your answers once I've clicked ACCEPT ANSWER ??? Thanks for your help. Pretty sure there's a visit from a face to face technician in our near future.

Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Hello!

The vent is the exhaust pipe coming off the furnace to the outside. You will want to make sure this is clear. The draft motor is a small motor the vent is connected to in the furnace.

And yes, even after you accept, you can come back to this question.

Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
Hello No you don't and even after you lclick accept you can always copme back to this question for further help. The site charges your card but I don't get paid until you click accept. Let me know if you need more help Richard