Richard, Technical Manager
Experience:  27 years of Experience, NATE Certified, professional trainer
29828770

Ive have a intertherm Heat pump/Split unit with heat strips.

Customer Question

Ive have a intertherm Heat pump/Split unit with heat strips. Heat strips don work on therm increase or emegency heat.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Hello first he needs to check the the sequencers are getting 24 volts on a call for strip heat if not look to his thermostat wires, make sure they are on the correct terminal and check for power coming out of the stat. If they have 24 volts make sure there is high voltage on the sequencer if so replace the sequencer. What wire did he put to wat terminal on the stat? also what make and model stat do you have now. Thank you Richard
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Therm is a comfort stat. cp2801. he wired blue to 0, yellow to y1,green to g, white to w1, jumped w1 to w2,red to r. would the cunductor kit on if it didnt have 24 volts. also it has 2 60 amp breakers in inside unit. 1 10kw heat strip, one 15kw heat strip. one breaker has 2 reds going to one side of heat strips. the other breaker feeds conductor thru conductor to the other side of heat strips. when i check voltage at heat strips all are hot like the have no ground to go to. I dont understand how these to breakers both supply voltage. wheres the ground.
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Hello it is 220 voltsa there is no neutral. Look for the sequencers one side of the elements are tied into them. they will have several wires going to them the bottom wires should have 24 volts across them
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
is this the same as the conductor. has the 2 black wires going into one side then the other side 2 black wires come out and go to heat strips. has small grey wires that make it work. ive been told this does not have a squencer or peanut. it has a transformer, heat relay, cool relay, cunductor, pipe looking thing at blower motor with a wire coming out of top
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Hello they could use relays if the do look at the elements one side should go right the breaker the other side goes to a relay or sequesncer we want to check that control for low voltage do you have amodel I might be able to locate a wire diagram
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yeah Im heading home now I will get back with you then.
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Ok I will be around all night
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok im back. just stopped by and got a plain jane thermastat. Guy there explained hook up and jumper between w2 & E. still no heat strips. he told me some things to check. ill give you the model intertherm E2EB-015HB You can work on that while i check here. thanks
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Ok let me know what you see
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK I can short red & white wire at inside unit & make conductor energize. Still no heat strips. check voltage across top element= 0 . Check from top element to bottom= 240. switch wires at red side of element and strip will turn red but fan will not come on and it sounds like its in a bind somethings humming but not sure what. can reverse wires and heat pump will work normal but no heat strips
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Has anyone worked on this it sounds like something is mis wired? is there a wire diagram on it? we may have to trace the wires
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Was no help to me. Sorry just going to HVAC tech. Thanks anyway

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
ok