Tom, HVAC Technician
Experience:  16+yrs HVAC/R service. Residential Commerical Industrial

Water heater Kenmore, Power miser 12, piolt light can not remained

Customer Question

Water heater Kenmore, Power miser 12, piolt light can not remained lighted. Thermocouple replaced, Same result. What next ?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
Make sure the pilot burner is clean. The pilot flame should be sharp and blue....fully enveloping the thermocouple. If it's lazy and yellow...curving up and not getting the thermocouple hot enough..that could be the problem.

You can use a little compressed air to clean the pilot burner..sometimes you may need a small toothbrush or something to help clean it.

If that doesn't do it...your gas valve is probably defective.

Let me know if you have more questions. Thanks, Tom
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for the quick answer. I did clean up the pilot nozzle (orifice) as much as I can with a brush even though I am not sure if that is the isue. Few things I noticed on the pilot opertaion.

1. No problem if I set the switch in pilot mode. Pilot will stay on overnight. Problem comes after setting switch to ON mode overnight. Typically, pilot will be off after a hour or so after a batch of water is heated up.

2. Thermouple is covered by pilot flame. The flame color is blue as fas as I can tell.

3. Without any new suggestion from experts, my next choice will be gas valve. The problem with gas vavle is Kennmore will not sell gas valve only. They sell whole burner assembly, $300. Half the price of a brand new unit. The unit I have is 18 months new.

4. I tried web to locate a Robershaw 64-LC4-376 gas valve (Unitrol) without any success. Do you know where to get one ?

Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
No, I"ve been unable to find anything as well. Sears probably has the valve made just for them ,, OEM style so you have to go back to them for parts.

Sorry I can't help you locate a separite part.

Would you like me to opt out of the question to see if anyone else has an idea?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sure, why not.
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
Ok..sorry I couldn't be more help. My suspicion is you'll have to go through Sears,,but we'll see if anyone else can help. Thanks!

Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
Sorry no one else replied to your question. Were you able to locate the part?