Airheatman
Airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

I have a goodman gmp 150-5. I cant get the igniter to turn

Customer Question

I have a goodman gmp 150-5. I can't get the igniter to turn on. There is a red light on the circuit board. The fan won't go on in the auto matic mode , but it will come in on a delayed basis when I just turn the fan. Is it a bad thermostat?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Airheatman replied 3 years ago.

airheatman :

Tell me exactly what happens on call for heat

airheatman :

Does the vent motor come on?

Customer :

no

airheatman :

are you comfortable doing a bit of hands on troubleshooting

Customer :

no problem

airheatman :

What thermostat do you have?

Customer :

lux 1000 electronic programable

airheatman :

let me get a manual. be right back

airheatman :

Do you know if it is the TX100?

Customer :

the case says Lux 1000

airheatman :

Looks like all the lux digitals wire same. Ok.Can you remove the wires from the thermostat for me?

Customer :

all of them?

airheatman :

you can remoe just red, green and white if you want

airheatman :

how many do you have?

Customer :

red, black, green and white

airheatman :

ok

airheatman :

is black connected to Y?

Customer :

yes, can I remove these safely without turning off the power?

airheatman :

Lets turn off power.only 24 volts but yes turn off

Customer :

disconnect red green and white?

airheatman :

correct

Customer :

all are four are diconnected

airheatman :

ok.Now twist the red and white wires together, turn power back on and see if induced draft motor on furnace starts

Customer :

sorry got knocked offline, the blower did not start when I put the red and white together. Are you still there?

airheatman :

I am here,You do not what motor I am refering to, Where vent leaves furnace yes?

airheatman :

Full Size Image

Customer :

yes nothing started up

airheatman :

Ok. Do you have a voltmeter?

Customer :

no

airheatman :

OK. The very first thing that should happen when you twisted thosw wires together or when you turn thermostat to heat is that little inducer motor should start,Once it proves a negative pressure on vent, it will allow the ignitor to spark,at which time the gas valve will open and allow burners to light.But until that motor comes on, nothing else can happen.Is it possible ti take a small scredriver or something anf see if the blade will turn in the little motor?

Customer :

where can I put a screwdriver into the inducer? It looks encased.

airheatman :

It probably is is on the Goodman.Some of them, you can see a little fan through the saing

airheatman :

casing

airheatman :

The next thing I would want you to do requires a meter to unplug the inducer motor and check for 120 volts on call for heat. The only way to eliminate it from being a problem is to see if there is voltage to it.Unless it is froze up(seized),that is why I wanted to see if it would turn.With poer off, you could remove the motor just to see if it is seized.I have even found lizards and small varments inside preventing the little wheel from turning

Customer :

I could remove the motor. I replaced it about 4 years ago

airheatman :

That would be my next recommendation without a meter

Customer :

that is probably a project for tomorrow at that point.

airheatman :

If motor is seized .THere is the problem,If not and nothing preventing it from turning,then you will need a meter to verify whether it is getting power

Customer :

if its not getting power, then what is the source of the problem?

airheatman :

Probably the control board.We have eliminated thermostat (by the way all that can be hooked back up), The fact that you made fan come on, says furnace has power.There is nothing else in the circuit before the induce motor.All the limits are later in the circuit

Customer :

I will remove the inducer motor tomorrow

airheatman :

Let me know what you find

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will let you know tomorrow

thanks

Thanks for allowing me to assist,Just come back to this thread and when happy with answer ,please hit accept button as we are not compensated otherwise.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will follow up tomorrow

Sounds great.Talk to you tomorrow