Heath, HVAC Technician
Experience:  11 yrs. comm.resid. service, Type III Cert.

what would cause my electric furnace to short cycle

what would cause my electric furnace to short cycle?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Heath replied 5 years ago.

Heath :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX will be my pleasure to assist you. The most likely cause would be the thermostat but if it is not getting to the set temperature on the thermostat it could also be the high limit causing it to trip the high limit which will auto reset. Check the furnace filter and be sure its not dirty and plugged up which would cause the furnace to overheat and trip the high limit.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it originally would run for 11 minutes,now it runs for about 5 minutes and shuts off and turns back on again,it repeats this process until it reaches the desired temp.we have had multipal hvac contractors to check it out and they can't figure it out.we change the filter every 30 days and have changed the thermostat 6 times from cheap to expensive and it still does the same thing.
Expert:  Heath replied 5 years ago.

Its either the high limit or the heat sequencing relay.

Try jumping out the high limit with an unbent paper clip with the power off tke the wires off the high limit and use the unbent paper clip to jump the limit and try it if that doesn't work then it is the heat sequencing relay.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
are both of these sensors on the furnace
Expert:  Heath replied 5 years ago.

Yes they are both in the furnace the high limit is in the middle section of the furnace and the relay is in the upper portion near the heat bank coils.