Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.

My furnace keeps starting and stopping every few seconds.

My furnace keeps starting and stopping every few seconds. I have been told to clean the flame rod, but I can't locate it in my furnace. Any advice?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for giving me the opportunity to help! The flame rod will sit in front of the burners and on the opposite end of the ignitor (the part that glows to light the burners). It will look similar to this. Clean with steel wool or emery cloth, basically "shine it up".
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 5 years ago.
This type of ignition senses through the flame hood. You can shine up the ignitor and flame hood and it might work better, but if you are having problems with it, it's best to replace the pilot ignitor assembly (the whole pilot and ignitor minus the high voltage lead and pilot tubing).
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I just mailed a photo of the unit. I think the flame rod is the red wire. I can't figure out how to remove the rod as it is blocked by other wires and there is a sheild above it. Any advice?
Expert:  Tim H. replied 5 years ago.
There are 2 screws holding that whole pilot assembly in place. They are best gotten with a 5/16 inch long nut driver. Then loosen the pilot tubing at the gas valve and whole pilot assembly will come out. As I said, this type of igntion does not have a flame sensor as such but senses through the hood over the pilot. You can try shining and cleaning up everything and it will probably work better, otherwise replace.