BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

I have a Borg Warner furnace. The model number is XXXXX

Customer Question

I have a Borg Warner furnace. The model number is XXXXX The name plate says "btu/hr 84000" and "Input btu/hr 105000". Is there a site online where I can get information about this furnace? I am interested in how old it is and what the efficiency is. I have this unit in a rental and I'm considering replacing it. All the "btu per square foot" calculators I've used online say I need a furnace around 60,000 to 70,000 btu for a 1568 sq. ft. house (not including basement) in a cold northern climate (Washington State), so 105,000 btu seems high unless it's only 65% efficient. Am I correct in my figures? Thanks.

Steve
Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 5 years ago.

You are correct.

The furnace is most likely operating between 65-70%.

The older furnaces were always oversized. In your case a load calculation should be done, but I do not see you needing anything over 70,000 btu

Currently you just have excessive stack loss.

Billy

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Any idea how I can determine the age of the furnace? The serial number is XXXXX All the info I can find for BW or York talks about two or four letters to get the month and year of manufacture, but none have XO as one of the options.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 5 years ago.

I cant tell you exactly. The Borg was 1956- 1986.

But the model in the last 20 years of their existence were 4 letters..so I know you are 1966 or older.

Of course this is based on the model being acurate.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I just found a resource for you. http://www.inspectapedia.com/heat/Furnace_Age.pdf According to this, under the York name, my furnace was built in 1970 and the A/C (AO- being the first letters of the serial) was built in 1971. Am I reading this right or would York have a different nomenclature since it was a subsidiary of Borg Warner in those years?
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 5 years ago.

That would make sense. I would agree.