gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician
Experience:  51 years of experience install design and repair of all makes and models of AC
19613070

I have a Rheem RBHC A/C unit that has just stopped cooling

Customer Question

I have a Rheem RBHC A/C unit that has just stopped cooling in my condo. I've done the whole turn the unit off for a while, check the filter but still no joy. The fan is activating when it should. Anything simple that I can do? Could it be a bad thermostat and if so, where is it located so I can take a look?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Hello can you go to the outdoor unit and get the model number? Next while your out there do you hear or see anything running? if not do you have a volt meter? next some modles will have a reset look at the bottom where the two copper lines go in do you see a black or red button? push it if it comes on we are not done just let m eknow
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Rheem model RHBC 14J06SFH. The unit is making the regular sound that it makes when working . The air coming out of the vents is just not cooled. The units power supply is fine
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

Hello the model you gave me is the indoor air handler RBHC the out door will be something like an RPKA. Also, it goes faster if you give me the readings when you say power supply is good did you measure it?if so what voltage did you read. Next did you see a reset? Next if it sounds like the compresser is on look at the indoor section you may have to take the doors off but we need to look to see if the coil is iced up. Just let me know thank you

PS if you have a volt meter this wil be easier we will also need a fe simple tools to take the panel off the front of theheat pump ot side. Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This A/C sytsem is in a condo so I'm not even sure if there's an outside unit? I'm not sure what the whole set up is? The lower unit has a model number RCHA 24A2GG14. The coils are not frozen. I don't have a voltmeter at home. The air handler is working fine and making the same noises. None of the pipes are cold on the lower unit and not sure where the compressor is?
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Hello Ok this may be more than you can handel. To make the repair or diagnose we need to know where it is and that you can take it apart. Meters are a plus but I am very good at finding things without a meter. So , you need to find the outdoor unit ( there is one there somehwere, the model you gave me is half of a system) if it is more than you can do I understand but tell me. Thank you Richard
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry, I have no idea where the unit is and how to get to it, its not just more than I can do. The pipes go up and I am on the 4th floor of a 6 story condo. There is no roof access. I'll keep investigating and get back to you.
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Ok usually they are on the ground and may have your condo number on them. Or if it is a flat roof they could be up there.