Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a Ruud water heater which has a honeywell S8600M continuous

Customer Question

I have a Ruud water heater which has a honeywell S8600M continuous retry relay. It would not produce enough hot water. I found that it would light nicely but the flame would shut down after a short while. It may relight a couple of times and then just sit there with the exhaust fan on. When it would cycle, 24 volts would remain constant to the relay and the pilot flame looks great. The ignition spark wire was cracked at the boot so I replaced it. This seemed to help and I thought it was fixed. I found that it was still cycling the same way but just not as often. I bought a new S8610U universial replacement control. I looks about the same except for a few extra connection points. It seems to be an easy replacement. When I replaced it, the water heater would not even attemp to light even though 24 volt was supplied to the control.
When turning the old S8600M control over I could hear that something was loose in it and figured that was the source of the problem. Since the new control was not working, I put the old one back on because it would work somewhat. The strange thing is that the old one is working like new again.
My question is , am I hooking up the new one incorrectly ?. It seems very simple and I am a HVAC serviceman by trade. I want to keep the control for future use if it is good, it was very expensive.
Thanks for your help
Glen
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 3 years ago.

Phil :

All work to be done by licensed professional. WE KEEP GOING UNTIL YOU ARE HAPPY . . . I come and go, be patient.

Phil :

These one size fits all controllers often do not actually fit all the systems they say.

Phil :

These have dip switch settings and 6 or 8 wiring options included to help aleviate the problem.. My advice, purchase an OEM replacement for the water heater from Rheem, and sell the new unit you purchased to a customer when the need arizes.

Phil :

or...... look for some dip switch, jumper, or wiring diagram issue you might have missed when installing the new controller.

Phil :

Let me know what you think, we can go from there if necessary, otherwise please click the big green accept button. thats how I get paid from your deposit.

Phil :

Phil

Customer :

From what I can tell this is the replacement honeywell offers for the S8600M. They made so many different controls which were very similar that they needed to consolidate with a universial for replacements.

Phil :

Hello again, I see this in the commercial building controls also, broadly ... the latest and greatest wiz bang system (that no long has all the bugs and built in disaster of the previous one sold last year)....... is sold into the market....

Phil :

then in two or three years, or less, sometimes just 6 months... a replacement system is developed that fixes those bugs.

Phil :

and frailties natural to all most cheap bits of electronics

Phil :

These are made in china for less than $10 in many if not most cases.. then wholesale here for $150.. and retail for twice that.

Phil :

10 dollar electronics don't last.

Phil :

thats the larger view of it... keeping track of these hundreds of tons of failed gismo's I see has become a problem ... so that now new 10 gismo's are built that can replace entire species, even piles and piles of previously wonderful devices, that fail and that sold for $200 to 500 dollars. so now when a 5 dollar fan relay fails on a furnace you mist by a whole new control card for a few hundred dollars...