Richard, Technical Manager
Experience:  27 years of Experience, NATE Certified, professional trainer

Recently, my Goodman model CKL24-1L has begun to function improperly.

Customer Question

Recently, my Goodman model CKL24-1L has begun to function improperly. Sometimes, the fan spins in reverse, sometimes in the correct direction but slowly, and sometimes not at all making a high pitched sound. What can I check or do?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
Hello I am surpised the cursing did not All kidding a side is this the outdoor fan motor?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes. The outdoor fan
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
Hello it is very odd for th emotor to spin backwards then forwards are you sure this is what is happening? Next do you have a volt meter you can use.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I was told it was spinning forward slowly. I witnessed it spin backwards and today, it did not spin.My volt meter is not with me. Are there steps that I can take when I get it back?
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
Hello Since the motor spins freely it is highly likey that th acapacitor failed. Thi sis common tyhis time of year due to the long run times and heat. Now it spinning back ward is very odd since it is a standard PSC motor. If you can measure the voltage to the fan motor next look for the capacitor it should be a sliver round or oval cuclinder with three terminals on it. Turn power off take a screw driver and short across the terminals ( it may spark this is normal) then remove it and get a replacment these are cheap maybe 20 to 40 dollars. 9 times out of 10 this is the cause if the motor runs ( even slowly) next step would be if power checks good replace motor as well. Any time you replace a motor you replace the capacitor so you wont loose anything here. Let me know Thank you Richard
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you Richard. I Shall replace the capacitor tomorrow
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
OK let me know how you make out