Jerry M.
Jerry M., HVAC Technician
Experience:  29 Years of experience in HVAC design -install- service -controls /Comm. & Residential

I have a new ruud furnace, less than ayear old. It is LOUD.

Customer Question

I have a new ruud furnace, less than ayear old. It is LOUD. I am on a slabso the furnace is in a closet. First the fan kicks on , not too bad, then when the gas ignites, it sounds like a Mack Truck coming through the house, it roars, then the blower kicks on. My old 20 year old clunker was nevr this LOUD. Please help.
Thank You.
PS this is an 80 and I do not have A/C
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Jerry M. replied 2 years ago.

Jerry M. :

Full Size Image
Full Size Image
Greetings! I will do my best to assist you - thank you for posting your question on JUST ANSWER! There are some things that can be done to quiet the operating noise of your system. First thing to consider is insulating the ductwork (installing duct liner) immediately coming off of the furnace. I am assuming that with the furnace being in a closet, there is probably not much return air/cold air ductwork, thus allowing the indoor blower noise to hardly be dampened. If indeed there is very little duct for return air, insulating it would help, but probably not a whole lot. Your heating contractor may have to redesign the return duct to allow for a "baffle" to be built in (see attached drawing - first drawing was upside down - sorry) Also, the plenum, which is the ductwork on top of the furnace, could be insulated also, which would help dampen the furnace noise. These are just assumptions I have made without knowing for sure what your particular system is like - if it sounds like I am way off base with my assumptions please let me know back, possibly with a brief description of your ductwork arrangement. I am more than happy to answer as many questions as you may have, and I am confident that you can get some level of "relief" from your furnace noise! Thank You! Jerry M.

Jerry M. :

Additional note - in my example of "redesigned" cold air ductwork with a baffle installed, It should still also be insulated with duct liner

Jerry M. :

Another additional thought/thoughts: Insulating the walls of the closet (if they aren't already insulated) will also help absorb some of the noise Also, it is possible that your indoor blower is running faster than is necessary - ask your contractor if it can be set to a lower speed and still stay within the appropiate temperature rise "range"

Customer:

I took picyutres of the furnace but can't figure out how to upload them. The furnace is low to the floor, it is positoned over a hole in the slab. My cold air returns in one portion of the house are in the floor and also positioned on the lower prt of the bedroom walls. What you are telling me is the samre thing the contracter will insulate to dampen the noise. This piece of crap is way too LOUD. I had a 20 year old inefficient furnace that was not his loud. You would expect the designers to realize that if a furnace is to be in stalled in a closet certain design elements should have been included to account for the noise. My main concern is the loudness of the gas when it is burning, It is like a giant blow torch. Since when does gas burn so loudly. I can underdtnad the noise from the blowers, but trust me when that gas kiks on it is like a Mack ruck blowing through the house.

Jerry M. :

Here is another question for your heating contractor: Have you checked and adjusted the gas pressure to the burner manifold? If your furnace is over firing, the burners will be noisier than they should be. Here is how to upload pictures: On the toolbar right above the area where we type, you will see an icon of a paper clip - click on the paper clip and a pop-up window will appear - at the right side of the "image url" line you will see a small icon that looks kind of like a calendar - click on it and another pop-up window will appear, allowing you to browse your computer for images - when you find the pic you want to send, click "open", then click "okay". The upper pop-up window will then close. Go to the remaining pop-up window and click "insert" Your image will be uploaded - you will need to do this for each picture

Jerry M. :

Here is a weblink for a contact form to RHEEM, which is the parent company for RUUD furnaces. It may be well worth your trouble to fill out the form with a description of your situation and forward it to RHEEM - I am quite sure you would get a response from them Weblink:http://www.rheem.com/Contact.aspx

Customer:

Hi, i will be back in a few minutes. I have to install a driver for my camera

Jerry M. :

OK

Customer:

Sorry I took so long. I just can't seem to get the camera working properly. I hope I didn't destroy it.

Jerry M. :

No problem!

Customer:

I was hoping for a more detailed answer. Will the Rheem site charge me 30 dollars?

Jerry M. :

Hang on - I will do a check - be right back

Customer:

I will have the contractor check out the gas pressure thing.

Jerry M. :

I see nothing on the RHEEM website that indicates that they would charge you any kind of a fee - I personally can't imagine them doing such a thing

Customer:

I hope not. Anyway, Thank You for your time.

Jerry M., HVAC Technician
Experience: 29 Years of experience in HVAC design -install- service -controls /Comm. & Residential