Will
Will, Specialty Repair Shop Owner
Experience:  30 years, heating, cooling, rotating, electrical, mechanical system and device repair
4456095

I have a honeywell thermostat and its holding a temperature

Customer Question

I have a honeywell thermostat and it's holding a temperature of 81, I can't get it to go lower because the screen is saying Hold Temp. I just turned it off and can't get it to come back on. How can I remove the hold temp and just enter the temperature I want?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Will replied 3 years ago.

Will :

model number?

Will :

should be a hold temp button mine is on the lower left corner

Customer:

Hi Will, I'm sorry I don't know the model number, the thermostat was here when i bought. I do have a temp hold button but everytime i try and change it, it just goes back to 81

Will :

thats ok we will figure this out, ever happen before?

Customer:

it's only happend twice in the past two weeks, both times the power was out

Will :

good information, have you changed the batteries lately?

Customer:

no. after the first time, i just lucked into getting it to change to the temp i wanted but it changes during the night. i think i might have something to do with the wake, leave, return, etc. settings?

Will :

you are correct sounds like you have the exact thermostat I have, if you have a run program button if so push RUN PROGRAM

Customer:

i just did

Will :

can you now push the temp up and down and make it change?

Customer:

that's what i've been doing, it will show the temp i want but then just go back to the hold temp screen at 81. is there a way i can just delete the program? and adjust temp as i want?

Customer:

did we lose contact?

Will :

well damn modern technology it gives you four time frames a day and probably 2 on the weekend, so you set up the times and temps then if you want to manually change you should be able to push hold temp and it will let you set a temp and ask for how many days do you know how to remove it from the wall mount ? Just make sure you pull straight back and when putting back look over the top with a flashlight and make sure the pins line up as you push it in straight, we will reboot the whole thing by taking it off the wall removing the batteries and maybe we can get control of the hold feature again which got messed up with the power outage

Will :

and new batteries while we are at that way we hopefully reset the memory you are fighting, and with fresh batteries maybe that will help, power outages do so many weird things hard to say if just lost its mind or if a surge shorted something, it sounds like it is rebootable at this point, so can you get it off the wall so the electronics reset?

Customer:

it's off the wall are the batteries near the bottom? i see two little round things poking out but they don't look like they come out. i can see 6.3v on them,

Will :

yes those would be the two round batteries like watch batteries

Will :

if you want we can leave the batteries alone and try plugging it back in in about 2 minutes if you want

Customer:

it's back on the wall now, it's says WAIT. but also still says hold 81

Will :

well we got it to do something, so let's wait, for another few minutes

Will :

I am running up and down trying to get mine to do what yours is doing,

Customer:

now it say In Recovery, is that a good sign?

Will :

are the four settings for each day setup on your unit?

Will :

yes a very good sign that means you might have reset the electronics

Customer:

no idea. it just came back on but still shows 81. i just pushed the down temp arrow and just for a minute is said temporary setting at the new temp but immediately goes back to hold 81

Will :

ok push down temp again push down to 78 the minute you get the temp to move push hold temp

Customer:

are you asking about the wake, leave, return, and sleep buttons?

Will :

no just like you said you pushed down temp and it stayed there for a minute and went back to 81 I want you to do the same thing but when it gets to 78 push hold temp right at that time

Customer:

did that but goes right back to 81

Will :

what are the four time zone temps ?

Customer:

i don't see that on the thermostat

Will :

you can view the auto settings by scrolling across you might have to go into setup mode but I am not sure of the model yours is newer than mine, but there is a way to view the four zone settings

Customer:

can i send you a picture of it?

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

i just uploaded a pic of it, let me know if you can see it

Will :

that is MY thermostat,

Will :

setup the four time zones the instructions are on the lid on the bottom reset them all to 78

Will :

we are going to set everything that is an auto setting to 78 weekdays and weekends make sure you set the time first

Customer:

i don't see anything related to time zones, only wake, leave, return, and sleep buttons, nothing else and nothing in the directions

Will :

once we have one preset temp regardless of time of day, we know the auto settings are 78, then if we cannot move manually by hold temp to anything else but 81 the stat is obviously fried from the outages, but the only way to know is to have all temps to one number which I picked at 78 I dont care if you like a better temp number make sure it is all the same on each day

Will :

hold temp............................................. three buttons to the right that is where you start the setup

Customer:

could we possibly troubleshoot this on the phone?

Will :

they have no phone support, if you hit the button three to the left of hold temp it is not real hard not the easiest but not impossible it is a crap setup, you have no manual so I need to find you one, but in the meantime push that button three to the right of HOLD TEMP, then make your setups

Will :

right of hold temp I said left once

Will :

when you push the button it will start in the leave home day come home sleep or some words like that we dont care we just want everything set at the same temp,

Customer:

the third button to the right is the heat/cool settings, i pushed it and it shows 78 but i don't see anything related to time zones

Will :

you are there scroll to the next zone

Customer:

how

Will :

see the four wake leave home sleep buttons just above the heat cool setting button? you hit each zone button one at a time

Will :

make them all 78 or whatever you picked

Customer:

ok i did that and noticed the temp had dropped from 81 to 79. the system just shut off

Will :

yea you are a genius good for you

Customer:

it says wait now. i should be able to lower the temp when it comes back on right?

Will :

do you have another thermometer you trust in the house ?

Will :

yes

Customer:

i don't

Customer:

i hate this one

Will :

I want to know if the thermostat is lying or not, I hate it too, it is poorly enginnered and not user friendly

Will :

not thermostat just a thermometer even an oven thermometer set on the counter so we know if the temp is right or wrong no since fooling with it if it is not even telling us the truth we go buy a simple manual non setback thermostat for $29 bucks

Will :

but yooou are making progress, once it gets back to no wait or anything like that [I don't have those wait instructions so yours is a bit newer than mine, mine gives me NO feedback] but it looks identical

Customer:

it came back on but it's holding at 79. i pushed the lower temp down to 70 but it doesn't seem to be getting cooler

Will :

It will take a while before you feel it, it never gets colder just runs longer next if this doesnt work we are going to try a shortcut, we are going to push hold temp move to the right one button push day and put in 2 then set the temp and it should stay there for two days

Will :

once it runs longer then it gets cooler, what is the outside temp where you are right now?

Customer:

oh lord, i'm in texas and it's stupid hot probably high 90

Will :

Ok even the best ac will be held to a delta T that is technical term for the amount of temp change capable most all units can only drop temps about 20 degrees at the very BE

Will :

S

Will :

best

Will :

and it takes time to do so,

Will :

everyone is asking the same questions they cannot get their ac below 80 when it is 106 out well it will never get there

Will :

the biggest help is to remove the humidity once the relative humidity in a structure is lowered the temp can be controlled much easier,

Will :

is your drain hose running water out of it by the furnace blower unit?

Will :

probably ran to a drain somewhere

Customer:

i've been in this house for 4 years and only recently had this problem. i turn it down to almost 60 at night and sleep in an igloo, always worked fine. the drain tube runs to the outside of my house

Will :

is it running water out or have you looked or can you tell?

Customer:

yes it normally drips all the time

Will :

It should be pouring right now,

Customer:

it just shut off still says 79

Will :

everyone says something close I have been here x years, but it is SO HOT AND SO FULL OF HUMIDITY FOR SO long everything is soaked, the whole house has to dry furniture, walls all of it, it is very unusual an very hard to explain let alone fix

Will :

do you think it is 79 degrees?

Customer:

probably close to it. now, how can i get the temp to go lower?

Will :

lets go for 78 or 77 just manually press hold temp move to right push day push twice to get to two days see if we can make it go on 78 and you might have fixed it

Will :

after you get two days on the hold temp lower the temp with the lower button

Customer:

just did that

Will :

and did it give you two days of hold at 77 or 78? you are certainly a fighter I know this is not easy but you are doing very well, most people would have freaked and gave up good for you it is so hard for me to try and explain this plus I am not sure of the model so even though it looks like mine I cannot refer to a manual, so I have to run up and push my buttons then try and see if I can make it work on yours, so sorry I know it has been very hard for you

Will :

plus rolling black outs across Texas I understand

Customer:

it's still showing 79 on the screen but it feels like it's starting to get cooler

Will :

it will if the temp screen is not lying to us

Will :

got a meat thermometer ? when it is on and blowing stick it down in a supply vent and tell me what it says after about 4 minutes

Will :

the dumb thermostat has two modes one what the temp is, two what the goal is and it is very confusing which one you are looking at most important can you push hold temp day select the number of days set the temp up or down [down in this case] and get it to stay there ?????????????

Will :

You should be blowing out about mid 70s air

Customer:

when i do that it always goes back to the higher temp

Will :

higher temp or 81

Will :

then reverse the procedure push down on the temp, then hold then days then hold again

Customer:

it's at 78 now. ok so it does feel cooler now and i just went into the coldest room in my house and it feels like it normally does. i think it's working. do i just click on the accept button to pay you/

Will :

we know one thing the heat cool settings changed something to the positive, we may need to set all days again

Will :

yes you can but I want to make sure you dont need me for anything else, but if you are happy get a manual but you can always find me by referring to this question and I am happy to help you with anything, I enjoy people who are cool under fire pun not intended

Customer:

ok thanks for your help

Will, Specialty Repair Shop Owner
Experience: 30 years, heating, cooling, rotating, electrical, mechanical system and device repair