Richard, Technical Manager
Experience:  27 years of Experience, NATE Certified, professional trainer
29828770

My heat pump compressor wont kick in. The furnace blower is

My heat pump compressor won't kick in. The furnace blower is working fine, but the heat pump will hum and every few minutes will click like it's trying to kick in, but doesn't. I gave the unit fan a push and it started running.

Thanks,
Steve
Hello this is typically the capacitor that causes this. The capacitor is a round or oval metal cyclinder with some wires coming off of it. This is a failry cheap part maybe 20 to 40 dollars. You can take it to any HVAC parts store or a local Grainger and get a replacment. Let me know if you have any difficulty. Thank you Richard
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Where is the capacitor located on this unit? I located a part that is hard plastic, cylindrical, with a hole through the middle, and two connectors protruding. Does that sound like the capacitor?
Hello is it black or silver if it is black you have a start capcitor ( thisis good and I would replace this first) this starts the compressor under hard conditions. You shoul dhave two then one silver ( could have a plastic wrap on it) this is a run capacitor.

CORNELL DUBILIER PSU2135 25MFD @ 250V AC Capacitor

start cap above run below

Whirlpool(NNN) NNN-NNNN- Capacitor

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks. I found it - it's the silver one. I've replaced it and am now testing. Unit fan kicked on and house is cooling down - I think that did the trick.

Thanks!
Great glad to hear