BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics

how do i change the fuse for a trane heat pump model xr14

Customer Question

how do i change the fuse for a trane heat pump model xr14? I checked the disconnect box, as that's where I've been advised the fuses would be located. There is a plastic piece that comes out labeled "on" and "off" with copper probes coming out of it. My father-in-law thought that's where the fuses would be stored, but there aren't any there.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 5 years ago.

Do you have reson to believe there is missing power to the unit?

Have you verified with a voltmeter that power is missing?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, and I'm not sure how to do that. The heat pump isn't running and the circuit breaker hadn't flipped (though I did flip it off and on in the event that would reset things) so the fuse seems to be the next thing to try (per trane's website and my father-in-law's suggestion).
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 5 years ago.

Basically the outdoor unit is doing nothing?

And is the indoor blower running?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Right, the outdoor unit is doing nothing and the indoor unit is still running / blowing room temperature air
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 5 years ago.

Thank you,

If you listen very carefully to the outdoor unit, do you hear a hum?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, I don't.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 5 years ago.

Thank you.

At the indoor you know if there is a water safety switch that cuts power in the event of a plugged condensate drain.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
You're beyond my area of expertise! haha. No clue.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 5 years ago.

Here is a boring speech....

There are 2 different power sources that make the outdoor unit run. 220v sits at a bridge (contactor) waiting to cross. The thermostat runs off 24 v to make things run like the furnace and ac.

The 24 v gets sent out to the ac unit to close the bridge for cooling...if the 220v is missing due to blown fuse or breaker there is commonly a buzz coming from from the closed bridge.

When no sound at all is heard it generally means the contacotr (bridge) is not closed.

I am afraid this will involve a voltmeter to see if the 24v is there, the 220v and start seeing where the issue lies.

The is a way to manually press the bridge down to test but it must be done with power on and 220v present.