M Oglesby
M Oglesby, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Universally Certified HVACR Technician
27079509

The condenser fan motor stopped working on my AC night before

The condenser fan motor stopped working on my AC night before last. The system is a Trane TTP060E100A0 that was manufactured in 2001. Not sure exactly when it was installed. (by previous home owner)

Had a service call last night and the tech tried replacing the capacitor to see if that would help. He was able to get the fan motor started again by "helping" the fan engage by shoving on the blades with a screw driver through the grate on top of the unit. The fan motor worked for about an hour and a half and then died again. I tried unsuccessfully to use his technique to get the fan started again a few times.

Relevant details:
* I had the fan motor replaced last September
* The tech last night said that the unit is drawing high amps and recommended replacing the entire system

My question: What should I do?

Can I get the fan replaced and extend the life of the unit for a few more years? Or should I replace the whole thing now? Is there another option I'm not considering?

M Oglesby :

Hello I am here to assist you.

Customer:

Hi M

Customer:

Please let me know if my question is detailed enough. I can clarify anything that doesn't make sense.

M Oglesby :

Yes it is detailed enough

M Oglesby :

It sounds like the fan motor has gone bad.

M Oglesby :

You can have the fan motor replaced for about $450

Customer:

Exactly.

M Oglesby :

How old is this system?

Customer:

2001

Customer:

We replaced the fan motor last September

M Oglesby :

It is possible that whoever installed the fan motor last did not wire it correctly.

Customer:

That makes sense. I'm surprised the motor went out in less than a year.

M Oglesby :

Also it is possible that a lack of service to your system caused the fan motor to go out.

M Oglesby :

Not changing the filters regularly can cause a domino effect that will lead to a fan motor going bad.

Customer:

Gotcha

M Oglesby :

I advise you to have a tech come out and change the fan motor and make sure the filters are clean, evaporator coil is clean, and the outdoor condensing coils are cleaned.

M Oglesby :

This should bring your system back up to peak performance.

Customer:

That sounds good to me. If I do that, am faithful about replacing filters and washing off the condensing coils, how many more years should I expect the system to run?

Customer:

And the tech last night said the "unit is drawing high amps". What does that mean?

M Oglesby :

That could be a result of the fan motor working to hard.

M Oglesby :

It also could mean that the wrong size fan motor was installed.

Customer:

One last thing: If I get the fan motor replaced, am faithful about replacing filters and washing off the condensing coils, how many more years should I expect the system to run?

M Oglesby :

It should run for at least 5 more years with regular maintenance.

Customer:

That's great news. Thanks for your help.

M Oglesby :

Please hit ACCEPT if you are satisfied with this service. Thanks! You are welcome!!

M Oglesby :

Bonuses are greatly appreciated!