Rick Mather
Rick Mather, HVAC Technician
Experience:  35 years experience, HVAC

I have a Coleman updraft type furnace (Model FG9B08012UP11C).

I have a Coleman "updraft" type furnace (Model FG9B08012UP11C). I tried to use the A/C today and heard a faint buzz when I selected the digital thermostat to the cooling mode, but felt VERY little airflow. These are the symptoms:
1. When the fan is selected on and the furnace mode is "off" (neither heating or cooling), the blower does turn, but very slowly - the airflow is barely perceptible, even at the furnace with the access panels removed and my finger on the door switch.
2. In "cooling" mode (and my finger on the door switch), the A/C unit outside runs and I can hear gurgling through the pipes in the furnace, but again, the fan only has very weak output - it is unlikely a match would be blown out by any outlet.
3. I also tried the "heat" mode, and the thing fires up OK, but this was inconclusive as I couldn't even hear/feel the blower with all the other combustion noise and I didn't want to run it too long and have it have to cut out due to an overheat.
4. Ominously, there is a smell very much like the hot dusty smell near the furnace (unrelated to the "heat" mode attempt mentioned above) - is this what burning electrical components in a furnace smell like? Thanks!!
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick Mather replied 5 years ago.

Rick Mather :

Sounds like the cooling coil is blocked either with ice buildup or dirty air filter, dirty coil inlet

Ok, but filter was clean - would all the potential dirty things explain why the blower would turn so slowly in just "fan" mode?

Rick Mather : Fan not. Up to speed will cause problem have it checked

Okey dokey.