Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.
27228809

Hello, I have a furnace from the 1950s called a Western

Customer Question

I have a furnace from the 1950's called a Western Thin-Boy. How do I light the pilot light? That it, where is it and how do i get a match to it?

Thanks,
Thinboy Owner
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for giving me the opportunity to help! Although it would be impossible to find any documentation on this furnace anymore, there are some general rules of thumb concerning pilot location. The pilot will be close to the main burner. Try and locate your gas valve and follow the pilot tubing from there to the burner area. It may have a separate pilot safety instead of a combination gas valve. (A combination gas valve has the pilot safety and gas valve all in one part). I know I'm throwing around some terms you may not understand. Start by finding the gas line that serves this unit. Follow it until you find the gas valve. Then find the pilot tubing (small diameter aluminum tubing) that goes from either the gas valve or another device called the pilot safety. Once you find the pilot tubing, this will lead you to the pilot to light.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks,I know the basics of how furnaces work. I followed the pilo tubing, but i can't see the end of it. I need details of this particular furnace. I am hoping someone has seen one!

Thanks
Expert:  Tim H. replied 5 years ago.
Follow the pilot tubing into the burner compartment and at the end will be the pilot.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it would need a mirroron theend of astick to seeit! it disappears around a bend.

thanks for youe input, but i can't accept your answer. it is too general and basic.

thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
the answer was basic and general. i need someone who has seen a Western Thin-boy furnace to tell me exactly where the pilot light is.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

(years later, just wanted to close the loop in case this is ever made useful to anyone else).

Tim is basically correct in general, tho it didn't help. The gas company came by to light it. There is a large (1-2" diameter) horizontal tube that leads towards the back and bends upwards. About 3" from the bend, it flares open. Inside that is where the pilot is. You need a long wire at least 2' to reach it. You will have to put a match on the end and stick it in.

The flame for this unit comes out in one big torch from that flared tube when it is on.