Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.

Hi...i have a lennox 13ACX-030-230-01 condenser for the upstairs.

Hi...i have a lennox 13ACX-030-230-01 condenser for the upstairs. I need another condenser for downstairs. Need to cool about 1500 sqft for downstairs. Heating is all tied to one system with furnace downstairs. Two thermostats already installed....1 up and 1 down Q1...How big of a unit do i need? Q2...How do I know if all I need is the condenser + labor to install? Q3...How much would est $ cost for unit + install?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for giving me the opportunity to help! Sizing a unit requires running a heat loss calculation using Manual J or a software program. This takes into account things such as doors, windows, insulation, etc. This is best done by a heating/cooling contractor. You could end up installing a unit and then find it is not sufficient for the size of your home.
If you want to do this yourself, here is a fairly simple formula that should get you close.
The cost of the install would vary depending on local labor rates, the unit you install (brand, efficiency), etc. But I would think around $3500 would be typical.