Drcool
Drcool, HVAC Technician
Experience:  i have been an A/C tech for the past 12 Years. working on window types, split type, and package
11923974

I have a frigidaire 10000 btu air conditioner model fac107S1A

I have a frigidaire 10000 btu air conditioner model fac107S1A and the remote is broken. The unit works except for the up arrow key to raise the temperature. The down arrow works and it is set at 60 but I can't raise the temp so it makes it too cold when in use. The up arrow clicks when I push it in so it appears to work. Unfortunately the remote is broke as I said as maybe that would have raised the temp. Its only abotu 4 years old so am hoping there is a way to fix it. Thanks for any help.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Drcool replied 3 years ago.

Please figure out how you can open the remote, Remove the batteries, look for some small screws and remove the screws, pry open the sides to separate the two plastic housing. Then look at the rubber pad that you press and you will see a very small black thing, this is the contact made of carbon. It presses to a pc board to make the contact. get an isoprophil alcohol, wipe the board clean as well as the rubber contacts. then get a pencil and scrub the carbon tip of the pencil to the rubber contact of the ' UP " button.to replenish the carbon or the rubber pad. Then assemble it back and test it.

-
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I probably did not explain myself properly. I can try that on the remote but its the up arrow on the control panel of the AC unit itself that doesn't work. It clicks when I push it but it doesn't beep whihc is what happens when I press the down button. I will try to repair the remote as you suggest tho and see if that gets the remote working - which doesn't work at all. Thanks Frank
Expert:  Drcool replied 3 years ago.

Oh. I really thought it was the up button on the remote. Anyway, if it is on the panel of the ac and it is clicking, then you would need to swap another button which you do not always use, like the timer button, or the swing button if it has one, Use a de soldering tool and swap the switches on the pc board. I have repaired one same trouble and it worked after i swap the switches.

-
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can it be taken apart while in the window?
Expert:  Drcool replied 3 years ago.

We usually bring the unit down, remove the cabinet covering the whole unit then access the electronic box where the pc board and the touch pad is located.

But, try to see some screws at the front of the unit, near the control panel, see if it would be enough to remove the control box by just removing the front screws, I know it could still have screw at the side which can not be remove with out pulling the unit out.

-
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is it possible that if the remote was fixed it could move the temp up and down? or does the broken up arrow mean the remote would also not work? Thanks for all the help
Expert:  Drcool replied 3 years ago.

If the remote can be fixed, the up arrow of the panel has no effect on it. You can use the remote to raise the temperature of the unit.

-
Drcool, HVAC Technician
Experience: i have been an A/C tech for the past 12 Years. working on window types, split type, and package