gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician
Experience:  51 years of experience install design and repair of all makes and models of AC
19613070

I have a Lennox heat pump system M/N CB30M-41-1P S/N5802H38275.

Customer Question

I have a Lennox heat pump system M/N CB30M-41-1P S/N5802H38275. Last week the heat was working and the fan on the outside unit was spinning. Today is the first use of the AC and no fan on the outside unit. The furnace fan is working and the air is not cool. I don't find any breakers tripped and I can manually spin the outside fan. What else should I check?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  gotoman for ac replied 3 years ago.

gotoman for ac :

Turn on AC and see if the fan or compressor tries to start. Russ

Customer:

AC is on and I only got a very quick buzz when I spun the fan by hand.

gotoman for ac :

Open access panel and check capacitor.(silver canister). See if it is puffy on top. If so cjange capacitor. Common problem.Russ

Customer:

I went outside to check for an access panel and the unit was humming. After about a minute it stopped. The fan was not turning. Is the access panel the only side of the unit that does not have coils visible?

Customer:

I have the panel off and see 2 red flashing lights that are on a circuit board and are labeled LED1 and LED2. While looking the unit sounded like it tried to start again.

Customer:

I have taken photos of the unit with the panel off. I'm not sure what the capacitr is in the first photo.

Full Size Image
The second photo shows the LEDs on the circuit board.
Full Size Image
The third photo is something on the wiring on the top with the fan.
Full Size Image
The unit is humming and continues to sound like it is trying to start.

Customer:

Did I get dropped out of the conversation? There has been no response since about 8:30 last night.

gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician
Experience: 51 years of experience install design and repair of all makes and models of AC
Capacitor is left side of 1st pictire. See if it is a little puffy on top. Russ
Replied at 8:38 PM. Did you get reply. Russ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes I did Russ. I apologize. I didn't understand the process to get the reply. I have purchased a new capacitor. The counter person says it is a universal replacement. It has only two connectors and the old one has three.graphicThe old one had a purple wire connected to the terminal designated as fan, a red wire to C and a yellow wire to heat or herm?graphic How do I hook up the new capacitor?
You a dual capcitor. One terminal common aone fan and one compressor(herm) Russ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What color wires do I hook up to what terminals on the new capacitor?
You can not use new capacitor , You need a dual capacitor with three terminals. Russ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok, that's what I needed to know. I'll get another one. Thanks for the help.
The reason you need a dual is the fan runs of one terminal,compressor runs off on terminal and the 4 prong terminal C is common. You ask the right questions and you are doing great. Russ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Russ.......thanks for all of your help! Gary

You are welcome. Get back to me and let me know how you are doing. Russ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The AC started running fine after replacing the dual capacitor. Today it has stopped again. I haven't heard any attempts by the compressor to start like the last time. The capacitor doesn't appear to have any stress. Also, this time only the LH red LED light is on and it is not flashing.
Does the outside fan run when you thermostat is set to cool. Russ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The fan on the outside unit is not running. I can spin it easily by hand.

May be another problem. Open access panel and see if the contactor(two pole relay) is energized. Does fan run inside when calling for cooling. Russ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The fan inside is running.
Check inside and see if there is a float switch in drainline off inside unit that may be tripped. This will shut outside unit off.Russ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Need some help locating the float. Is it visible in the first photo I had sent before? I don't see any drain lines sticking out the bottom of the unit. The inside is dry.
It would be on inside air handler near the bottom of unit. It will have two wires coming off of it. Russ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do I need to take off more shielding?
No it should in plain site. The drain is 3/4 PVC pipe or black plastic. Where is your inside unit located. Russ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I was looking at the outside unit, my mistake. I found the drain on the air handling unit inside. It is the first photo attached. I don't see any float or wires. The drain appears clear and everything is dry. The second photos is an overall view of the side of the unit where the drain is. The third photo is from just above the filter. What are the things hanging? Do I need to take any more apart?
Do not take anymore apart.You do not have a float switch on unit. Can not tell what the things are hanging. Picture is blurry. On the first picture you sent me the is a terminal block where the low voltage wires attach. Take a small wire nd jumper from R to Y and see if outside unit runs. Russ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
I used a jumper and connected the red and yellow that are circled. No response from the outside unit.