gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician
Experience:  51 years of experience install design and repair of all makes and models of AC

I have a Carrier Tech2000ss unit outside my house. It has wo

I have a Carrier Tech2000ss A/C unit outside my house. It has worked great since we purchased the house. I believe it was installed in 95 or so. Last night I tried to turn it on for the first time this season. The internal house vents blew air but the unit outside ran for a brief amount of time and went off. Theres no activity from the device at all. I tried changing the STAT but that didnt seem to do the trick.  I also tried to just skip the Stat and just connect the stats Y & G wires to the R wire. It ran for a while again and then went off and never came back on. 

I'm pretty comfortable testing voltage and reading wiring diagrams so if anyone has any suggestions I'd love to figure this out. My wife and 2 year old are sweating it out while i'm at work :) Any help is appreciated.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  gotoman for ac replied 5 years ago.

The Carrier unit has a low pressure control. If pressure gets to low it will shut it down but will normally come back on n a few minutes. Check the insideu it and see if you have float switch in drain line . If drain is cloogged it will backup and shut unit outside down. Check this first. Glad you have voltmeter we may need it. Russ

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hey Rus.s. That's so much for the reply. I really appreciate it.

I took a look around the inside unit where the PVC drain is but didn't see anything that looked like a float. The overflow pan was dry as well. Do I need to remove a panel to see anything I'm looking for?

Your email made me think maybe the drain is clogged where it exits into the gutter (which s possible b/c of large Oaks around my house). But the gutters were clear when I checked then this AM.

I tried again this AM to connect the 3 stat wires and let it run but the outside unit stopped after 20min. Would the unit normally stop and start when turned on like this. I'm assuming it would run continuously if those wired are connected.

Thanks again

If thermostat was bypassed it should run continuously. You may have a refrigerant problem. his would cause the unit to shut down on pressure. Need to have a service tech check charge. EPA rules on handling refrigerant. Russ
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks Russ. Yes that may be what it is... but I was hoping to test a few things while I wait for the repair company to call me back. (Busy time of year for them). I'd like to rule out a few more expensive potential things so I don't get taken for a ride on my service call.

Any other suggestions to shoot for. I cant find a wiring diagram for this model online. I was hoping we could use it to test a few things.

Thanks! Have a great weekend.

No problem on the help. You do not have anything major wrong. Russ
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hey Russ. So my tech finally made it here today. He said the same thing you probably thought which was a low pressure issue with the refrigerant. He recharged the freon ($270) and then performed an electronic leak detections (free).

He found a leak in the filter dryer (whatever that is). The part isn't terribly expensive. About $150 but the evacuation and recharge is another $475.

So unfortunately its about a $900 fix. I wish it was something I could do but unfortunately its not. Does the Filter Dryer frequently spring a leak? Does this sound about right to you?

Filter driers do rust out and is a source leaks. Common problem. The recharge I have a problem with. The tech can remove your refrigerant and reuse it. This is done all the time. Russ
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Just wanted to thank you for the help. I questioned the repair company about the costs and the reuse of refrigerant when its drained. They were telling me that they don't reuse it. I questioned why and that I know for a fact that they should be reusing it and the cost seems a bit high for the evac and recharge. He seemed caught off guard and ended up working with me on the price and I ended up with a bill that was almost $200 less than they had quoted me. Sounds like they may have been trying to take advantage a bit. you saved me a ton of $!!! Thanks again for the help. The AC is working great now!!
A little knowledge helps. If I have helped with question please press accept. I do not get paid unless you do. Good job by the way. Russ