Matthew
Matthew, HVAC Technician
Experience:  14 years experience in the HVAC field of service, installation, Manual J & D calculations
6927568

air conditioning wont come on

air conditioning won't come on
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Matthew replied 3 years ago.

Matthew :

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you today.

Matthew :

Is the indoor blower coming on it is just that the outdoor unit isn't?

Customer:

Neither is working

Matthew :

if you turn the thermostat to fan "ON" does the indoor blower come on?

Customer:

no

Matthew :

you have no power ot the furnace. this could be a breaker, a loose high voltage wire, a loose thermostat wire, a blown fuse, or a blown transformer

Matthew :

Inside the furnace is a control board that may or may not have fuse protection depending on the model furnace. Check this fuse and see if it is blown looks just like a care fuse will be a 3 or 5 amp

Matthew :

Also check the breaker and the switch on the wall next to the furnace and make sure they are on.

Matthew :

Full Size Image

Matthew :

Full Size Image

Matthew :

on this board the fuse is plugged in to the top center of the board.

Customer:

the furnace was working.

Matthew :

the blower is running?

Matthew :

or you mean it works only when set to heat?

Customer:

it works when the heat is set

Matthew :

on your thermostat where the wires hook up is there just an R terminal or is there an RH and an RC terminal?

Customer:

how would i know that

Matthew :

you have to pull the front off

Customer:

I have a blue, green, white and red wire

Matthew :

The red wire goes to a terminal marked R or RC or RH?

Matthew :

I only ask because the RTH2300 was made two different ways. One way they have an R terminal and then to the right of that terminal is a space where it looks like another terminal would be. On other older models they had an RH and then an RC in that empty space .

Customer:

I have a rc and r

Matthew :

okay perfect

Matthew :

now is there a jumper wire hooking the RC and R terminals?

Customer:

no

Customer:

I have a black wire

Matthew :

the red wire goes to R doesn't it? nothing is under RC?

Matthew :

You need to take a small piece of wire and make a horseshoe shape and install this into the RC and R terminals connecting them together to make one terminal so the red wire is energized by both of them. The thermostat came from the factory with this jumper but it has fallen out somewhere along the way or disregarded at installation of the thermostat.

Matthew :

If the red wire is only touching the R terminal only the heat will work. If the red wire is only touching the RC terminal then only the cooling and fan "on" will work

Customer:

There is a silver hook in the rc and r.

Matthew :

that is the jumper

Matthew :

So make sure that this jumper is intact and tightened down

Customer:

The jumper is intact and tightend down. It came with the thermostat

Matthew :

right

Matthew :

so if the heat works the cooling should work.

Matthew :

is the red wire under the RC or the R?

Customer:

the red wire is next to the r. It is over a letter g

Matthew :

http://customer.honeywell.com/techlit/pdf/PackedLit/69-2606ES.pdf is this what your thermostat's terminal strip looks like? page 6

Matthew :

and if the red wire is under G then what is the green wire under?

Customer:

Thank you Matthew. I put the red wire in r and the air blower came on. Thank you for your help

Matthew, HVAC Technician
Experience: 14 years experience in the HVAC field of service, installation, Manual J & D calculations