Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.

White Rodgers thermostat type 1f89-211 This morning

Customer Question

White Rodgers thermostat type 1f89-211 This morning it was blank and the cac would not function. I put two AA batteries in the empty battery slot. This made it read ambient temp but nothing else. I decided to look for the low voltage ac power source. I saw thermostat type wire adjacent to the air handler. I followed it. it went to the condensate pump. I wiggled those " thermostat "wires and the condensate pump ran immediately. Yes those low voltage wires feed 230 to the condensate pump. I will put proper wires in that circuit after the immediate problem is corrected.----- at this juncture the thermo began displaying "filter failure". Now it is just a simple media filter that is and was clean. I know of no thing that could function as a filter sensor in this Trane system from 1997. I took the batteries out. Now it cools when I set it to heat and it heats when I set it to cool. Yes., the higher I set the demand temp. the cooler the house gets. Oh yes the filter message is now gone. I tried pulling the R and C wires for a few minutes but that changed nothing. Tried to give you all info I have. Can you help ?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for giving me the opportunity to help!

Try this: take the batteries out of the thermostat and turn the power to the furnace off for 30 minutes. Now replace batteries with fresh alkaline batteries and turn furnace power back on. Try again.
If this does not correct the problem, I recommend replacement of the thermostat.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It never had batterioes in it before. It has a 24vac supply which is popwering it now. I will try 30 minute turn off now.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 5 years ago.
Great, let me know the results.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 5 years ago.
Why did you give me negative feedback instead of working further with me to resolve the problem? We could have tried more things.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This site gives limited reply space. Ok I very much want to solve this and give you a good grade. i don't mind paying for value.--------- To continue, this condensate pump may be th e source of the Thermo. problem. I have realized the low voltage wires from the condensate pump can cause the Thermo. to indicate "filter failure" . When the assbackward Therom. refuses to show a demand temperature
I can just wiggle the low voltage wire at the cond. pump. Then it runs and pumps out it's reservoir and commensurately the thermo. displays the demand temp and the system starts and cools ok. Of courseI still have set it on heat to make it cool. As long as I set demand higher than indicated ambient the system cools. BUT--If I set it to cool it goes into heatpump mode. Don't you have access to programming instructions for this Thermo? I will wait to hear from you on how the condensate pump effects the Thermo. before I attempt to improve the sensor wire connection at the Cond. pump. I can get diagnostic codes out of it as well as off / on choices but I don't know what they mean. I do that by holding temp increase and temp decrease simultaneously. I am glad you hung in here with me. I have learned that there is usually a very simple answer to problems like this. By the way, when it is cooling in the heat mode it never stops cooling. I guess it cannot satisfy itself. This cond. pump thing occured for the first time when I first found the Thermo. completely blank and non functional after I had . as I usually do, set it to off the previous evening.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 5 years ago.
It appears the thermostat you mention, the 1F89-211, is a non programmable thermostat.

see here
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The Mfgr. instructions are a great help, thanks. BUT, can you explain what the sensor wires that go into the condensate pump are supposed to accomplish? The pump is Little Giant catalog# 554310. Mod. VCM-2OULST. Is it simply a safety shut off to prevent condensate build up and flooding if the pump reservoir becomes overfilled. I suspect an intermittent float switch in the pump reservoir. I won't open the reservoir up until I hear back from you. I am beginning to smell success with this problem. I will study those instructions and institute them.. Best , Kurt
Expert:  Tim H. replied 5 years ago.
They go to a float safety switch. Basically if the pump fails to pump out the water for any reason, it cuts the low voltage circuit so the unit stops. Otherwise you'd end up with a flooded floor. If you suspect problems with the pump, it's better to just replace it. They get gunked up after a while and they are relatively inexpensive.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 5 years ago.
Also, since we are still working on this, I'd appreciate it if you'd contact customer service or "help" and remove the negative feedback. Thanks!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Please remove the negative feedback I gave on Tim H. He and I seem to be proceeding to a positive solution to my A/C problem. Kurt.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 5 years ago.
You sent the request to me, but you must contact [email protected] and give them the link to the question, then they will remove the negative feedback.